Campaign and adventure tiers

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Magic_Octopus
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Campaign and adventure tiers

Postby Magic_Octopus » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:56 am

In Earthdawn characters advance in circles. As they gain in power, legend, and abilities, their challenges should be different. I am not an experienced GM, and even less so running a fantasy RPG. I used to play in a long running LotR RPG, and in that game we as players gave feedback to the GM that it was annoying that when our characters became more competent, the opposition seemed to level up at the same pace. After giving the feedback, we started to also sometimes encounter weaker opponents, which gave us the feeling of having become more powerful.

Now that I'm GMing Earthdawn myself, I'm trying to think how to do this organically. I suppose in my head, first circle character should be dealing with rather mundane stuff, like helping out the common man. Combat opponents could be bandits and animals. When they reach epic tiers with circles in the teens, opponents and encounters might be major horrors, rules of nations and dragons.

I'm seeking help in trying to figure out the gradual development in between those two extremes. I think it would be fun if the players know that they start as low level mooks and dream of something big. When they get there it will feel all the more satisfying.

For example, if they are traveling, maybe at an inn they encounter a more experienced adveturing group. From them the characters learn about more powerful dangers that themselves are still too inexperienced to deal with.

What other methods might there be? I'm afraid that if I let them know about rumors or possible quests that are meant for more powerful characters they might still go for it, putting me in a difficult situation.

Also, what "levels of society" might there be for them to interact with at different circles?

At initiate: Common man
At novice: ?
Journeyman: ?
Warden: ?
Master: Kings

etherial
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Campaign and adventure tiers

Postby etherial » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:23 am

Remember that the world of Earthdawn has a lot of really nasty places(TM). Exploring places like the Badlands, the Wastes, and Jungles definitely go in Novice/Journeyman, whereas places like Kaers and Parlainth go in Journeyman/Master. Also, political entities like Thera, Throal, and Iopos have minions that go all the way from non-Adepts to Masters and Wardens. The higher Circle the Adepts, the higher Circle the opponents that will get thrown at them by enemy powers.

Flowswithdrek

Postby Flowswithdrek » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:23 pm

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:33 pm

Give your players Legend Points for defeating or defusing obstacles without combat. If they out-talk 2 ork guards, give them jut as much Legend as if they out-think, out-sneak, or out-fight them. Also, give full LP (modified by the difficulty of the fight) for enemies that run away. This lets you setup recurring enemies, give LP multiples times for them (instead of re-cyced faceless orks) with one big payoff when the PCs end the rivalry.

Apply this idea to all encounters, and then you can start to draw from a range of Circles for challenging opponents. Throw a few encounters at the players that are lower than their Circle in challenge rating, and encourage smart thinking with LP rewards just as much as a hack-and-slash approach. Then throw a few above-Circle challenges at them. You will see the pattern that Flowswithdrek mentions, where player-characters will start to have a context of the power-levels in the world around them.

Magic_Octopus

Postby Magic_Octopus » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:40 am

Magic_Octopus

Postby Magic_Octopus » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:42 am

Magic_Octopus

Postby Magic_Octopus » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:48 am

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:42 pm

Don't forget that not all encounters have to be combat. Earthdawn especially has rules that facilitate running social encounters. Legend Points should also be awarded for overcoming social obstacles and for good role-play. It's also often a good way to throw a wrench in when the characters are getting too complacent with their combat prowess. Your fighting abilities might get you hired for various jobs, but if one of them is a sensitive diplomatic mission, you'll have to learn to negotiate with more than just your fists and steel.

evil

Postby evil » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:55 pm

You could try giving your 4 cadavermen armor and weapons, or make them trolls (for more hitpoints)

Flowswithdrek

Postby Flowswithdrek » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:08 pm

Return to “For Game Masters”