On thread magic

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Spader
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

On thread magic

Postby Spader » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:09 pm

Does it stack?

Let say Waldo has three pattern items and three of his friends use them to weave each a rank 5 thread to his physical defense. Does that mean Waldo has now a bonus of +15 to his Physical Defense?

IMO, I would immidiately say NO. But I wish to hear others on this.

Another exemple, Jusepe has a magic ring. It's a thread item that gives him +2 to his Physical Defense and +2 to his Spell/Mystic Defense. If a friendly adept use thread magic to increase Jusepe's physical defense and spell/mystic defense to +5, does it become +7 or does it make Jusepe's ring obsolete?

For this one, I'm not sure.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Re: On thread magic

Postby Mataxes » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:39 pm

Bonuses from thread items stack -- even in the first case.

I feel like that first example is heading into the extreme--consider the nature of pattern items. First, you need somebody with three pattern items, then has three trusted friends to hold them, and then those friends are all willing to make the investment to provide the bonus...

Yes, +15 seems a bit crazy, but the scenario strikes me as a bit crazy as well.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:29 pm

Three friends both trusted and powerful enough to protect the pattern items. You can trust someone all day long, but if a Horror gets hold of just one of them (the item and/or the person), the results would be quite disasterous. And since the friends would need to be adepts in order to weave threads, they will most likely encounter a Horror at some point. It's a big reward, but a considerable risk too (one not even Waldo could hide from).

etherial

Postby etherial » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:33 pm

Spader

Postby Spader » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:32 pm

Yes. I agree with all the comments. I once gave a major pattern item to each of my players. And one of them threw it in forge fire. Can't say it wasn't wise.

Return to “For Game Masters”