Looking for a spell...

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Flash

Looking for a spell...

Postby Flash » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:25 pm

My Nethermancer just hit 4th Circle and has a Krilworm for a familiar. I'd like to find (create if necessary) a spell that creates an Astral pocket for my familiar during the day. So very specific duration of sunrise to sunset. Does any spell already exist that is somewhat like what I am mentioning? Also, I looked through all of my 3rd ed books and I don't see any rules for creating spells. Did I just miss that section? I know it was in one of the 1st ed magic books...
- From Slaves To Legends

slayride
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Looking for a spell...

Postby slayride » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:53 pm

Interesting, seems to me a little out of reach at Fourth Circle, being that Astral Pocket is a Ninth Circle Warden talent. Pocket Guardian is at Second Circle, it summons a guardian for you pouches. You might need a modified version of the spell, something like a Third Circle version. Call it something like Familiar Guardian. The Familiar Guardian will permit only the magician OR the magician's familiar to enter the pouch. Anyone else will be attacked. The Familiar Guardian can only be placed in a large sack or backpack, as it is larger than the pocket guardian, and space is also needed for the familiar. Follows all the same rules and requirements as the Second Circle spell Pocket Guardian other than this added effect with the following design stats:

FAMILIAR GUARDIAN
Threads: 4
Weaving: 8/16
Casting: TSD of Guardian
Range: Self
Duration: Rank + 2 days

Familiar Guardian
DEX: 6
STR: 4
TOU: 4
PER: 6
WIL: 4
CHA: 4
Initiative: 7; Surprise Attack 10
Actions: 1
Attack (3): 9
Damage: Bite or Sting (1): 5; Surprise Strike 8
Physical Defense: 8
Spell Defense: 8
Social Defense: 10
Physical Armor: 4
Mystic Armor:: 0
Death: 28; Durability 3 [46]
Unconsciousness: NA
Wound Threshold: 7
Recovery Tests: 2
Knockdown: NA
Movement: NA (confined to the object they are summoned in)
Powers: Soothe (3): 7; Familiar Guardians use the Soothe power to coax familiars to sleep and make them feel comfortable, as well as helping them recover from damage.
Legend Award: Second Circle

Note that this would also be good as an Improved Pocket Guardian spell at Third Circle as well. Just remove the Soothe power since it is extraneous to the basic needs of that spell.

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:36 pm

Oooh, I LIKE that. I would also allow the Familiar Guardian to be anchored to a hollow or small cave/crevice.

My first thought was a "turn your Familiar into an illustration or pattern/image for hibernation" thing (think embroidery, tattoos, carvings, paintings).

That's probably a bit higher circle, tho, if I fleshed it out.

ManDrake

Postby ManDrake » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:32 am

Interesting, I have to agree with Slayride on this one, an Astral Pocket is a bit out of reach of a 4th Circle Nethermancer. I'm curious why there is a need for something like this. I've only had one Nethermancer in one of my game and he kept his in a special soft bag that he carried in his robe. I'm curious why the need for moving the familiar out of normal space. Since they are spell matrix most of the time, you want them close by. I guess technically an astral pocket would still give you access to it since it would technically be with you. It just seems like a lot of extra work magically speaking. They don't weight very much, so I'm trying to see what the concern is?

Flash

Postby Flash » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:57 am

Thank you everyone for your replies. After reading through the old 1st ed and EDC spell design rules, I tend to agree that 4th Circle seems a bit low. Not only that, both versions state that 5th Circle is needed for spell design (not that I couldn't hire someone to design it for me, still don't have THAT much silver yet ;-)

The whole reason I wanted the spell was just to keep the familiar safe. Seeing as the krilworm is much like a bat, and hideous looking, made sense to me that during the day it would want to sleep.
- From Slaves To Legends

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:27 pm

Krillworm Carrier (tm), a home away from home for your Little Loathsome Loved One. Perfect for short trips to the vet and even extended road trips, it includes a special compartment for Crunchy Treats (tm), made with all-natural yet indescribable ingredients. Order today and get 50% off a Delux Skeorx Scratching Post! Order today!

Anunnaki

Postby Anunnaki » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:01 pm

ragbasti

Postby ragbasti » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:55 pm

Flash

Postby Flash » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:52 pm

- From Slaves To Legends

Return to “For Game Masters”