[3ED] Tracking, Evidence Analysis and Experience Death

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
kosmit

[3ED] Tracking, Evidence Analysis and Experience Death

Postby kosmit » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:21 am

Motive for last couple sessions was investigating murders and problems with these 3 abilities poped out.

Tracking
Our scout wanted to follow a group that left particular house. It was raining but despite some trouble our Scout were able to spot some tracks. I didn't use Perception Test for spotting tracks, just Tracking result high enough to achieve Excellent Result. After following tracks they found that the group divided. From there she was able to follow the target precisely to a tavern to exact Namegiver who left tracks and to identify righ away. Isn't that too easy?

Evidence Analysis
Someone killed 2 guards and 2 prisoners and freed 1 in quard barracks. How exactly Evidence Analysis could help here and what questions (I know they are regarding How? and What? but please give me some examples)

Experience Death
As a Gamemaster I generally think that when somebody slits a throat, person is good as gone. My nethermancer used Experience Death at the body of a guard. He saw the last moments when the guard's throat was slit. Should he get whole Death Rating of deceased person, or just from one blow? I don't want to throw couple dice to simulate couple stabs etc. So one blow for the whole HP or just throw once for an attack that killed?
Duvvelsheyss

etherial
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [3ED] Tracking, Evidence Analysis and Experience Death

Postby etherial » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:29 am

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:22 pm

1. IIRC, Tracking allows you to track the target for one hour without making another roll (I could be wrong or out of date here). As long as the actions were all done in that time frame, I'd say you're good.

2. I always think of Evidence Analysis as the CSI Talent; it lets you pick up on minor clues to put the scene back together in your head. Etherial's suggetsions are good, though I'd also throw in as a possibility the races of those involved, what order the events took place, what time it happened, and how long it took.

3. Experience death is one of those spells that I have always seen as a big gamble that often doesn't pay off, but when it does it's key. The player choosing to use it knows ahead of time that they will be taking the damage that killed the target, so I believe there's no reason to soften that blow regardless of the results. It's very easy to see from the body when the killing blow is having their throat slit. That's a one-shot kill, so they should know ahead of time they'll be taking that damage at once. I actually recall a Nethermancer in our group before refusing to cast Experience Death on a target that had been decapitated. No matter what could be learned, they knew taking that much damage would be a Bad Thing.

Marceli

Postby Marceli » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:34 pm

Sethariel

Postby Sethariel » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:16 pm

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:30 pm

What do you sense with Experience Death? Emotions and thoughts or just vision and audio?

Also if the target of the spell got 40 hp, and he was hit for 32 dmg, and then with lucky roll for 54. I will get 40dmg as nethermancer or 86?
Duvvelsheyss

Razan_GM

Postby Razan_GM » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:48 pm

Easy one.
"If successful, the last few rounds of the target’s life are played out to the magician, ending with the target’s death." ....."Unfortunately, this also includes taking any damage the deceased suffered before he died." Experience Death Duration: Rank + 3 rounds

So everything that happened to the dead guy (in Rank + 3 rounds ) "happens" to spell casting character.

As for "he senses everything from the point of view of the deceased." I would say all 5 senses, but definitely not thoughts.

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:20 pm

What about damage?
Duvvelsheyss

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:31 pm

Did he suffer that damage during the time covered by the spell? Then yes.

However, unless you roll dice ahead of time to randomize how much damage the victim/target suffered (in which case they might not die!), you're going to be making it up anyway.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Razan_GM

Postby Razan_GM » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:36 pm

As Mataxes said, if he got all that damage while your spell last, you get all the damage.

Return to “For Game Masters”