Is it possible to simplify the rules?

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Xiaomei
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Is it possible to simplify the rules?

Postby Xiaomei » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:36 pm

I got interested by Earthdawn setting, but I prefer rules lite systems, like Basic D&D. Would it be possible to simplify rules of 3rd edition for faster combat? What I would like to see:
- no steps, or at least no rerolling
- no skills except rogue skills
- one value for armor and defense or other way to simplify that
- a way for fast NPC statting

Mataxes
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Is it possible to simplify the rules?

Postby Mataxes » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:02 pm

If you want to adapt the setting to another game system you certainly can -- there are enough similar genre assumptions that a d20 type system (or even old-school BXCMI D&D) would be able to handle things well enough (trying to convert some of the unique Barsaivian fauna to a D&D-type system could be an interesting project). But I don't see us ever releasing an official Earthdawn product with that radical a system change.

I don't know offhand if there are fan sites out there with ports of the setting to another system, but it wouldn't surprise me. I've come across enough people over the years who really like the setting but don't like the system. That's cool -- everybody has their own taste when it comes to the crunchiness of their preferred games.

Personally, I think there is a certain integration of the system and the setting assumptions that get lost with a more stripped-down approach -- but don't let me discourage you from having fun with the game in your own way.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Xiaomei

Postby Xiaomei » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:37 am

Oh no, converting it to D&D is almost impossible, since this system is reliant on priest class, and it's very hard to avoid it. Also it would be too much work.

I was thinking about simplifying rules myself. If I'm ever going to buy rulebooks I would like to know if it is possible to make these changes I mentioned, or is the game so static that rules can't be modified easily.

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:28 am

I would recommend buying Savage Earthdawn or to look for Pathfinder Earthdawn. But remember: ED without steps and rerolls is not ED. You can try remove attribute values but Steps are essential for ED.
Duvvelsheyss

Xiaomei

Postby Xiaomei » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:10 pm

I don't think I'm going to look into another rules-heavy systems, especially Savage Worlds, worst mechanics ever.
Why rerolls can't be removed? Too many game mechanics rely on it?

Flowswithdrek

Postby Flowswithdrek » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:50 pm

By rerolls are we talking about exploding dice? I would say the reason not to do away with exploding dice is that some characters would be simply unable to accomplish certain things. Say two characters are fighting and one has a high Physical Defence and the other a low Dexterity and a low Melee Weapons (or none at all). Its possible that the character simply could never strike the other character. But with exploding dice, regardless of how much of a mismatch there is, this becomes possible, albeit still difficult. Many talents work on the degree of success so without exploding dice the heroic would only ever be mediocre and adepts would never be able to accomplish anything heroic, which is what Earthdawn is all about. Without exploding dice it would be very difficult or impossible for some characters to achieve an armour defeating hit, at low circles.

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:27 pm

Xiaomei

Postby Xiaomei » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:27 pm

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:57 pm

The articles have migrated to my current home on the web - loremerchant.com. Here are the direct links:

Josh Harrison --

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:30 pm

Josh Harrison --

Return to “For Game Masters”