Sereatha, Shosara and Western Kingdoms

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
kosmit

Sereatha, Shosara and Western Kingdoms

Postby kosmit » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:12 am

Hello there,
I have some questions concerning the subject of Shosara, Sereatha and Western Kingdoms.

In the Shosara book which I know is not official,the Sereatha is mentioned as fallen city of Shosara. In Blood Wood it is claimed to be city-state with diplomatic connection with the Blood Wood and Shosara. I would like to know which version is more accurate. It is a problem mainly because different opinions between Shosara and Sereatha about Blood Wood. On the other hand Sereatha is placed on far south for Shosarans so being part of northern kingdom is not an option...

Before I've read both books second time I thought that Sereatha might be a part of the Western Kingdoms but now I know it's not true due to map from Theran Empire. That made me wonder... Are Western Kingdoms placed on Great Britain? It would fit to Shadowrun elven kingdom which is placed there.

So my questions are:
1) Sereatha - free city-state or part of Shosara? Maybe they disconnected after Scourge?
2) Where are Western Kingdoms?
3) This one is tricky but maybe... Is there any possibility to see updated map of Earthdawn World? Maybe the author of Atlas of Barsaive would like to make bigger project? :D
Duvvelsheyss

TarlimanJoppos
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Sereatha, Shosara and Western Kingdoms

Postby TarlimanJoppos » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:17 pm

Sereatha is not part of Shosara, but instead an independent city-state. It's also known as the City of Spires. It has not fallen, but it might be doomed... Trying to maintain diplomatic relations with both Blood Wood and Shosara puts the Sereathans in a very difficult position.

The Western Kingdoms were in the location now known as The Wastes. Only the bit up on the coast of the Gwyn Sea survived. A book on the Elven nations has been in planning for a bit now, to include revision of the Blood Wood book and new material covering the Western Kingdoms. Josh Harrison would be the one to address that more directly.
Andrew Ragland
Line Developer, 1879

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:07 pm

Hmmm... Western Kingdom lying in Wastes? I didn't thought about that but I think I would place them on the British Islands.

As far as I remember only one sereathan tower survived the Scourge. Crimson Spire?

I can't wait for elven book :D Maybe some sneak peek? :D
Duvvelsheyss

TarlimanJoppos

Postby TarlimanJoppos » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:04 am

It's your game world, put things where you need to put them. The Crimson Spire survives the fall of Sereatha, which IIRC hasn't happened yet, but becomes known as the Crying Spire.

The following is non-canonical, and may or may not be included in the Elven Nations book.

The last part of the descent from the mountains having been thus accomplished, we set ourselves to the task of navigating a path through the foothills. Let the reader not be fooled by my use of that word. These were no gently rolling hills, with lowlands between easily navigable. Far from it – they were crags in their own right, smaller enough than the mountains and in the right locations to be called foothills, but bare, jagged outcroppings of rock thrusting up from valley floors made of ash and hardpan. Finding a way through them took us nearly two weeks, not only from the difficulty of the terrain, but also from the fact that they extended considerably further than we had expected. The view we had had of them from the mountainside had been deceptive, their further reaches obscured by haze and ash-cloud.

Within the hills, we encountered our first denizen of the Wastes, a molgrim. The great ugly beast lunged up from an ambush point behind a boulder and laid open the shoulder of one of our cart-oxes before we could react. A scant few seconds later, it went running off with three arrows in its hide, but a haunch of ox clenched in its beak. We had to put the poor ox down ourselves. We made quick work of cutting off the better portions that the molgrim hadn't despoiled, and traveled hard the rest of the day to put distance between ourselves and the remaining carcass, knowing full well that where there was a predator, there must be scavengers, and having no wish to meet such. While there was fresh meat for dinner that night, we were also short an ox, and having to hitch up one of the spare animals far too soon into the expedition.

The hills gave us our first evidence of the Burning. The eastern sides of the rocks were bare of earth, stripped down to stone, and eroded as if by harsh winds. The ash lay less thick on the western faces, making it easy for us to clear it away and see what lay beneath. The obvious conclusion was that the prevailing wind was from the west, and the ash piled up in the lee. A close inspection of the stone by Tar-baden, our lead scholar in matters of the earth, brought forth two facts: One, the rock had been stripped of its earth by a force going west to east, and two, it had been eroded by a force going east to west. This matched the phenomenon seen in the vicinity of a fireball or other large explosion, where the blast creates a wind that carries away anything loose, including soil, thus creating a vacuum that Air rushes to fill, carrying airborne dirt, leaves, and the like back toward the site of the explosion. Anything not carried away by the blast is scoured first one way, then the other. A similar situation is seen in great fires, an example being the loss of the Otrovartid Forest twenty-three years ago. The flames consumed so much air that they created a fierce wind blowing toward the conflagration. That had less force than the inrush after a fireball, but created the same general type of scouring. The Wastes are covered in cinders and fly-ash. Certainly the Burning would have dispersed a great deal of ash, and the anxiety of Air to refill the void wold have created the contrary wind.
We therefore pronounced ourselves satisfied that we had found sufficient evidence to back the idea of the Burning in a general sort of way. Further exploration still remained necessary, of course, to find the source of the blast that had so obviously consumed the Western Kingdoms. Our other scholars, Vendelarian the master of beast lore, Urgruk the expert in plants, and our historians Kylendel and Apsitar, were anxious to find subjects for their own study, giving us additional impetus to carry on.
Andrew Ragland
Line Developer, 1879

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:19 pm

IIRC?
Duvvelsheyss

Anunnaki

Postby Anunnaki » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:24 pm

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly. It's one of those Interweb acronyms. :)

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:15 pm

Everyday I learn something new ;)
Duvvelsheyss

LouP

Postby LouP » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:26 pm

Hello,

For what it's worth (and these days that's probably not much), when we (FASA, that is) first envisioned the elven nations/lands outside of Wyrm/Blood Wood, they were most definitely NOT in the region now known as the Wastes.

We never actually worked out much more detail around this, as the elven lands were beyond the borders of Barsaive.

Take Care,

Lou Prosperi

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:07 am

I will probably stick to the vision they are somewhere in UK :)
Duvvelsheyss

Return to “For Game Masters”