Rules question: Parry & Ripost

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Gotya
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Rules question: Parry & Ripost

Postby Gotya » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:27 pm

Can a player attempt to repost an attack which naturally misses?
Do players react to the information that they are being attacked or do they react to the information they have been hit?

Mataxes
Site Admin

Re: Rules question: Parry & Ripost

Postby Mataxes » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:27 pm

I allow players in my game to use Riposte on an attack that misses.

I also allow the players to decide whether to attempt a defensive talent (Avoid Blow, etc) after I have told them whether they have been hit or not. I don't tell them the target number, but I do generally tell them how solid a hit it was (armor-defeating, etc).
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

slayride
Site Admin

Re: Rules question: Parry & Ripost

Postby slayride » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:55 am

Yes. A player can attempt a counterattack on an attack test result that misses their Physical Defense, whether using Riposte or Block and Counter.

Usually I tell the player the Game Master Character misses, do they want to counter? At 2 Strain, the answer is sometimes no. If the Game Master character hits I ask them if they want to evade? (Avoid Blow, Block and Counter, Parry, Riposte, etc.)

Keep in mind that ruling in this manner can make it tougher for your own players versus Game Master Character's that possess these talents/skills though. Since they will be able to counter your player's missed attacks as well. This makes both talents stronger. Ruling that the attack needs to hit the player's Physical Defense for the counter to trigger makes the talent weaker, but it means less Riposte/Block and Counter triggers that can slow down combat at times.

Return to “For Game Masters”