"OSR" Stuff: Morale, Random Encounters, Reaction Checks

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Telarus_KSC
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

"OSR" Stuff: Morale, Random Encounters, Reaction Checks

Postby Telarus_KSC » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:30 pm

The "OSR" concepts in the title have been on my mind after playing a few rounds of an Earthdawn/Greyhawk mash-up I GMed. I wrote a set of mass-combat Unit rules to quickly convert the gygaxian map-keys into something ED3-compatible, which I could run with double digit combatant numbers.

Researching OSR blogs at the time, I really started to want random procedural methods for ED3 to determine things like unit and personal Morale, building an encounter from a Random Encounter chart, or throwing a set of dice to determine a surprise encounter's tone from friendly to hostile...(Reaction Check).

A word on Random Encounters... these invariably come in 2 types in the old-school material. There are REs in dungeon exploration mode and REs while wilderness exploring. It is important to understand that these rolls do NOT serve the same function. REs in dungeons introduce an encounter very close to the party, and refer to the RE chart that goes with the dungeon key. The dungeon Random Encounter charts use much fewer quantities than Random Encounters in the wilderness exploration mode, which reference the Monster Manual for quantities. This makes sense because the REs are checked at different time scales. Dungeon checks are once an hour (or less if the pressure's on), wilderness checks once a day (usually).

I like to think of the wilderness scale checks as Plot Hooks. If I rolled up 150 human bandits, I don't just spring them all on the PCs at once. No, it means the next Hex has a Bandit Lair somewhere, and the surrounding terrain is raided. In ED I'd figure out if an Adept or something else were leading the bandits, etc. I would introduce them to the party depending on how the story goes. If the PCs fail their wilderness check, maybe they stumble into a checkpoint and have to dear with wary thieves.

I used dungeon random encounters ("wandering monsters") when I ran a few Adepts through the Moathouse from T-1-4, Temple of Elemental Evil. But, I rolled them ahead of time, so I had a list of d6 results that I could check off as the PCs made their way through the upper part of the ruined castle. This worked brilliantly, as I didn't have to roll-consult-narrate all at once. I rolled them all before the session (about 20 rolls), then noted the NPC encounters vs "color" like the wind howling, or scrabbling under the floor. I got the idea because I playtested rolling NPC initiative before hand and then crossing each off as I used it, which worked fairly well (you have to really track modifiers tho).

Anyway. I've got Reaction rolls half figured out, too. Reaction Rolls are KEY to understanding Random Encounters, because they randomly make a number of the encounters NOT ABOUT COMBAT. If you run into an unfriendly bear, or a friendly monkey, you don't have to run a combat encounter. You do have a great RP opportunity, tho.

There are 7 NPC Attitudes in ED3, from Enemy through Awestruck. The ED rules pretty much assume that the GM will assign an Attitude for each NPC, and then the players may adjust that with a Making an Impression test (GMG p95), and other Talents. I wanted a simple way to randomly generate a starting Attitude if I needed. Pretty easy, really.....

The initial Reaction Roll of any randomly generated encounter will be a PC Charisma Test vs target (or target leader's) Soc Defense, +1 for any additional member of the target group. [This lines up with existing rules.] This roll will assign any of the middle 5 Attitudes based on Result:
Hostile (Pathetic), Unfriendly (Poor), Neutral (Average), Friendly(Good), Loyal(Excellent).

This is a raw Charisma Test (no talents, etc). I'm considering modifying this by the Legendary Status of the players. There may be other rules to apply here as well, as playtesting it will show.

Morale... well, I'm thinking it's Willpower based, as that's used to resist Fear and related effects. Oddly, the rules keep saying to use it to resist Intimidation social tests, but the Intimidation rules don't mention that anywhere (this bug goes back to 1st edition). I think I'm going to read up on the Leadership Talent/Skill and see how that will fit in here before nailing down Morale rules.

Would any of this be useful? I'm making these house rules so I can run classic adventure modules using ED3 mechanics.

Thanks for any input.

slayride
Site Admin

Re: "OSR" Stuff: Morale, Random Encounters, Reaction Checks

Postby slayride » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:36 am

Might want to check out my Mass-Combat Article for ideas. http://www.fasagames.com/articles/?post ... mbat-rules

As for reaction tables, Savage Worlds uses one that has you roll 2D6 with its 6 Reaction Categories with a result of 2 = Hostile, 12 =Helpful and the other ones being things like 3-4=Uncooperative. This could easily be applied to Earthdawn. For example, roll a D8 with 1 =Enemy 2 = Hostile, 3 = Unfriendly, 4,5= Neutral, 6= Friendly 7= Loyal 8= Awestruck. This weighs things toward neutral which is what most NPCs should start out generally as well.

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:31 pm

Thanks Slayride. Looks like SW keeps the classic 2d6 bellcurve from the early editions. I considered using that, but I wanted to see if I could work out a mechanic with the step system, heh.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:28 pm

A straight d8 doesn't actually weight that heavily (even with two neutral results). You could juggle the order of the results around and as long as you had two neutral spots on the list you'd get the same distribution. (1-Neutral, 2-Hostile, 3-Awestruck, 4-Friendly, 5-Unfriendly, 6-Loyal, 7-Enemy, 8-Neutral for example, gives the same statistical distribution.)

You'd be better served with 2d4, which actually does weight towards "average", which is where you would put the most common or most desired results. 2d6 works as well, and gives you more choices to refine the distribution of your results.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:34 pm

I'm using AnyDice to run some numbers and compare die pool probability curves vs difficulty numbers. I'm getting some interesting results. Still trying to see if this will help me develop some mechanics for the above.

http://www.anydice.com

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Fri May 16, 2014 11:19 pm

kevsur

Postby kevsur » Wed May 21, 2014 4:21 pm

I been using random encounters for years and made my own charts up. i normal check for encounters every 2 hours of travel and roll a die base on how dangerous the area they are in, for normal areas i roll a d10 if a 10 is rolled a encounter happen. i have encounter charts for plains,mtns,jungles and each chart is broken down into 3. a 2nd d10 is rolled with the result equal which chart to roll on, 1-5 is common,6-9 is uncommon 10 is rare. then 1d100 is roll for what the encounter is. once i know what is roll then i decide if its a direct encounter or not. ex- if i roll up a major horror (which i have time to time) i sometimes have them meet it in disgaise or they find signs that something very dangerous is in area make them on edge.

I also have on charts to ask for a random character sheet and pretend to make notes.

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Wed May 21, 2014 7:38 pm

Awesome! Glad to see others using these concepts in ED. I'd be interested in seeing your charts. :)

kevsur

Postby kevsur » Wed May 21, 2014 8:10 pm

here a copy of the mtn common chart
Mountain
Common (1-5)
1-8 Small Game Animals
9-15 Insects
16-23 GOAT
24-35 Birds
36-45 Dogs
46-49 Reptiles
50-60 Large Game aniamls
61-70 Cats
71-82 Bear
83-86 1d10+15 Chakta Birds
87-88 2d10+10 Earth Q'wrils
89-92 2d10 Carnivorous Earth Q'wrils
93 Old Camp site
94-95 skyship
96-97 Small pond
98 Huttawa
99-100 Uncommon table

if you wnat a copy sent me a pm with your email and i sent it too you.
i do change it now and them as i get new ideas when i run but haven't run earthdawn in awhile

Return to “For Game Masters”