(3ed) creating spells

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
kosmit

(3ed) creating spells

Postby kosmit » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:10 pm

Is it ok to use rules from 1st edition or should I develop new? Any advices?
Duvvelsheyss

Anunnaki
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: (3ed) creating spells

Postby Anunnaki » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:46 pm

Hiya,

You could use the ED1 rules, but they will require some modification to accommodate changes made in ED3. Probably the next best thing would be to use the EDC Spell Design rules (available from http://earthdawn.fasagames.com/downloads).

Take kaer, James

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:04 am

Thanks! I didn't think about classic xD
Duvvelsheyss

EDChronicler

Postby EDChronicler » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:20 am

Just a tad bit of advice:

Don't be afraid to add the odd bit of, "X must be gathered by the 'spellcaster discipline' personally", it isn't an official rule, but I've found the spellcaster believing he has to do something himself to make his spell, is a great way to create a series of adventures.

I personally borrow the Magic Theory Knowledge skill from Shadowrun for most of my stuff where I can. Just tweak it to be more Earthdawn specific in design. While 1/2 magic knowledge covers this, there is a certain satisfaction in having a dedicated skill for this purpose. I allow the 1/2 magic to be more ripe with "misinformation" at times that's advantageous. But mostly its all about how you present it to the player and support it within reason to the game mechanics. So sometimes the rules don't cover everything you want to accomplish.

Return to “For Game Masters”