Open Game vs Closed Game

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
kevsur
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Open Game vs Closed Game

Postby kevsur » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:41 pm

i only roll hidden for rolls the players don't know like someone sneaky behind them or see if they spot a trap but everything else is open

Rogan Rubyeye
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Open Game vs Closed Game

Postby Rogan Rubyeye » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:47 pm

I've been using the screen since 1st Ed - just seemed a natural thing back in my early days of GMing (80's style thing). I'm still using the original 1st ED screen but with the 3rd ED step/difficulty # chart on an A4 print out hung over the original tables. This is pretty much the main essential reason I'm still using a screen for Earthdawn - as a GM you need to reference the Difficulty/Result Level table, whereas the players not-so much. Oh yeah, and it also kind of stops my over-enthusiastic spastic hands dice rolling from disappearing across the tabletop and unto the great beyond (especially as they're coloured to belnd in with the carpet!) ;)

As for keeping things hidden, well I'm probably like most GMs here in that I let things fall as they may regarding dice rolls, but allow roleplaying and the "GM hint" to avoid the TPK and recuperate from difficult results. I do agree with a certain degree of keeping results secret, particularly when it comes to things that PCs are unaware of - the ubiquious "do you notice it" Perception Test for example. But even asking for a Step X roll usually alerts players to "there's obviously something out there as he's made a roll" situation. Then again I like building paranoia especially with Horrors etc. IE: the old, "do you think he's just made a Horror Mark Test?":D

I like the idea of pre -rolled Perception Tests and then ticking off the results as and when required, although certain talents and abilities can often subtitute and you're left with making a test on a different Step #, which can prove unfulfilling to PCs who have such abilities and feel cheated of using them. Either way, I just tend to get on with the story with a bit of improvisation and common sense judgement.

With the GM screen makes a barrier between you and your players thing, I've not really had any problems with this. I'm a big chap and tend to have a storytelling style that can overcome the screen. I don't hide behind it but challenge my players over it (or keep it off to one side so i have space to fill in my notes and keep track of combat stats/damage.initiative etc. Then again, I'm only using a table that everyone sits around at my local club game sessions. For my regular group of friends at home sessions we all sit about whereever there's space all rolling on whatever floor or table or flat books we have. Admittedly, as GM I get to use the low coffee table for my rolls and so the screen doesn't hide that much of me from view.

I guess that's the important thing overall - visibility and access to your players to allow commmunication between you all, with enough free space to keep your books for reference and dice rolling and snacks without encumbering it all. Oh yeah, and physical maps and PC positions via minis are another thing I'm fond of, but that'd be a different thread eh? ;D
"I spy, with my Targeting Eye..."

Return to “For Game Masters”