Regeneration/limb regrowth

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
LADRILLON
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Regeneration/limb regrowth

Postby LADRILLON » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:57 pm

Hiyas!

I was wondering if there's any spell/power that regenerates or regrows limbs, for instance? :wave:

Thanks!
L

zayven

Re: Regeneration/limb regrowth

Postby zayven » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:45 pm

Wasn't there an NPC in one of the books that had a hand fashioned from elemental wood? Am I imagining that this existed or am I thinking of another game?

As far as straight up regeneration, I can't remember anything that does that. Earthdawn isn't big on healing magic, though there may be a blood magic spell somewhere that will do it.

Failing that, your only option is probably to get a crystal arm (pg 258 of the 3rd edition PH). It's normally purchased as an extra limb and has a number of penalties associated with it, but none of them apply if you get it to replace a lost limb.

Of course, you'll have to worry about putting stress on your true pattern and potentially winding up reduced to a puddle of fleshy goo should you fail a depatterning test...

Gkeckley

Postby Gkeckley » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:04 pm

Reattach limb if you still have the limb and it is in good shape. It is a 9th circle wizard spell. Also, Alter Life might be able to do it, the spell is vague on exactly what it can do. It is an 11th circle nethermancer spell. As part of a story you could say that a very high ranking questor of Garlen could use their heal power to restore the limb. The power itself does not work that way by the rules but who is to say what the High Questor of Garlen is capable of. Then there is the Buttersoider Box. I have not seen it in this edition. It is a magic item in Parlainth the Forgotten City page 55. At rank 5 it will regenerate a lost limb no matter how long it has been missing. At rank 7 it can even cure a cadaver man or spectral dancer returning them to life as well as restore their sanity from their undeath experiences.

zayven

Postby zayven » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:26 pm

Yeah, but think how hard it will be to fight through those armies of warring falsemen with just one arm!

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:04 pm

Depending on how loose you are with your rules with Spells and Naming them, there are a few spells that could be used for a viable replacement. There of course would be benefits and penalties to play out for each, but which could make interesting characters. Fingers of Wind (ranged, but with limits to strength and can't be used to attack, maybe for a painter that does murals on the sides of buildings), Spirit Grip (Phantom Limb, anyone?), an attached prosthetic with an Animate Spirit Object on it (imagine an old retired soldier that regularly gets into arguments with his replacement arm). My GM made an NPC Swordmaster who lost his legs and had a Throne of Air spell Named, so he can hover to retain his mobility. And one of our Weaponsmiths has spent many years and tons of coin learning to build mechanical prosthetics and developing a ritual as a Questor of Garlen to attach and animate them.

LADRILLON

Postby LADRILLON » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:49 pm

Great news!

Now I can tell my wingless Windling player there's still hope! :clap:

L

Anunnaki

Postby Anunnaki » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:07 pm

Hiya,

As noted, the Butterspider Box has a regeneration option. That will be making an appearance for ED Revised in the Parlainth sourcebook, but you can extrapolate from the original ED1 box set easily enough.

In my campaign, I've had one of players (a windling Thief) have his wings burned off several times now (long stories involved in both cases). To me as a GM, it's more about using the opportunity to build a better story, than relying on game mechanics, in such "extreme" situations. So the character is in a good deal of debt to both a great dragon AND a major shrine to Garlen (and the Passion, of course). I will mention that the great dragon is beginning to regret the deal ... but that's an even longer story. ;) Bottom line: if the player is really attached to their character, then use it to your campaign's advantage.

Hope this helps!

Take kaer, James

slayride
Site Admin

Postby slayride » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:23 pm

Wingless windling is no problem. Wings of Fire is blood magic that can give them wings of fire instead. You could also name spell Metal Wings on them as well for them to gain metal wings.

Return to “For Game Masters”