When frightened

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Spader
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

When frightened

Postby Spader » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:59 pm

What happen if a character is fleeing due to the effect of a fear magic (like the Frighten talen for instance) and someone is blocking his escape route?
Will he attack?
What if he is attacked by another character? Will he defend?

Razan_GM

Re: When frightened

Postby Razan_GM » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:38 pm

Too many diffrent things can happen: Always let the Players Characters make the test.

- if its an obsidiman fleeing he will use his Str and momentum (try to stop 450kg running guy :P ) to push aside anyone blocking his way.

For complex mechanics I would: if a character is blocking his way, than compare Str of that character with obsidiman weight, use the Characteristics Table to find the lowest Strength Value that allows to Lift that weight (thats two times Carrying Capacity), and determine the difference to his own Strength Value. Add +6 to that number, and that would be Difficulty Number for Str Test of blocking character (Feats of Strength, PG p.249)

For much faster and simple mechanics: add +2 or -2 to Str Test Result for each weight category between characters: Obsidman pushing Troll (Obsidiman Str Test +2 vs Troll Str Step // Troll Str Test -2 vs Obsidiman Str Step). Obsidiman pushing Elf, Orc, Tskrang, Dwarf, Human - Str +4/-4. For Windling +6/-6, i would rather use +8/-8.

If attacked he will use defensive talents (Free Action), than use Delayed Action to delay his action into the following Combat Round (he does not act during the current Combat Round exept Free Action Talents). His Initiative for the following round is automatically 1 higher than the highest Initiative rolled for that round. And he keeps running :)

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:40 pm

I believe this will be highly situation dependent. However, from a general stance, I would approach these situations thusly:

1. If the character's path is blocked, they will continue to run in away at the best direction available to move them away from the source of their fear. If they are cornered and their path is entirely blocked, if the barrier is something they can attack (such as another character) they will do so only to create an opening, at which point they will run again (attacking to knock down would be appropriate here). If the barrier is solid and they can't make an opening, I would look at the result of the fear effect. If it is only one success, then the character may try to fight back against the fear source with the intent of running away. If there are additional successes, then the fear effect is too great, and they will either claw helplessly at the barrier or simply mentally break down and go fetal position.

2. If attacked by another character while running from a fear effect, I would say a character can only defend in a way that would be conducive to their escape. Simply dodging the attack, such as with Avoid Blow, seems appropriate. Something like Riposte I would say is too much; their focus will be on getting away, not turning aside the attack. This of course assumes they still have escape options open. If they are being attacked by someone blocking their path, they will most likely fight tooth and nail until an opening apoears for them to escape through.

Spader

Postby Spader » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:16 pm

Ok thanks!

And if the player have a choice between a guarded exit and a cover (but closer to the fear source)?

Should he try to pass the guard or take cover?

Razan_GM

Postby Razan_GM » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:14 pm

"...the target becomes frightened and attempts to
get away from the adept’s line of sight as fast as possible on his next turn."

If there is an exit guarded 4 meters away, and 2 meters away a barrel to hide in or behind I would say: I jump into barrel :P

Return to “For Game Masters”