Momentum Attack vs Second Attack

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
galafrone
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Momentum Attack vs Second Attack

Postby galafrone » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:38 am

i always thought that MA can follow ONLY a "standard action melee weapons attack wich scored at least a good result, no matter what actually the defender did"
(if you scored a good or better and the defender avoided/parried, you still can use MA on that defender, immediately after the standard attack routine was over)
so it follows that you cant use a MA for a second weapon attack or a second attack

Welt
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Welt » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:23 am

galafrone

Postby galafrone » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:05 am

i can concurr with you about the vagueness of the terminology, i just said i always let it work as i wrote.
and after arma post in the previous page, i think i have read it as arma intended (vagueness or not).
anyway, it's just DEVS final word (or rewording of the talent actually) that can change it.
if it comes out that you can follow 1 MA after any attack (main/standard and second(s) attack / weapon) MA will be quite good, because you can just apply it in a 3 attack rotation and not only once as you can do with "my" interpretation.
actually if you open the interpretation it can even follow the free attack you can gain from airdance

i mean not that you can do 4 MA, btw. just that you can have it triggered by 4 potential attacks that can be "GOOD" and not only once from the previous reading.
so it will be more useful

bottg

Postby bottg » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:40 am

Re-reading the responses makes me realise i missed an important point with this in the original post.

You can of course make both in the same round (regardless of definitions etc). You would still probably choose second attack if you could only choose 1, because it doesn't require any preconditions, but by having both, you get 3 attacks in a round if required.

arma

Postby arma » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:21 pm

It means the one immediately before, so you can do the above.

In other words:
Any attack XY with a Good Result allows you to use MA directly after you resolved attack XY, but only once per round.
(Except for the ones that disallow it explicitly, such as Frenzy IIRC.)
Best kaer anywhere.

Welt

Postby Welt » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:17 pm

arma

Postby arma » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:52 am

Multi-Strike:
You resolve an entire attack, interrupting is not much of an issue. (We've gone into a lot of detail with the actions in ED3, but they're still mostly about how many you got).
For example, in a normal attack, you make the attack test, then damage test, and then any other tests such as knockdown tests, before making Momentum Attack. You don't wait with the knockdown until after Momentum Attack.
Just the same, you could resolve all your Multi-Attacks and then go for Momentum Attack (you're pretty likely to get it, anyway).

Maybe the talent was due for a rewrite, though. It's still pretty much in the same state as in ED1, though much else around it has changed.
It's just been one of the talents that never had any issues attached to it.

CritHit:
It's Free... ;)
Best kaer anywhere.

Welt

Postby Welt » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:53 pm

Grathus

Postby Grathus » Thu May 03, 2012 5:50 am

Another thing to think about (a bit power gaming, but fun ;) ):

2nd attack is restricted to an additional attack with the same weapon.
Momentum attack does not have such a restriction (at least not in the description). Does this mean i could make

1. a shield charge attack,
2. get a good result and then a momentum attack with the sword
3. 2nd attack with the shield again
4. 2nd weapon with the sword

?

galafrone

Postby galafrone » Thu May 03, 2012 6:01 am

i think the momentum attack can be done only with the medium you use for the attack that generates it.
so:

1. a shield charge attack,
2. get a good result and then a momentum attack with the shield (again)
3. 2nd attack with the shield again
4. 2nd weapon with the sword

Return to “For Players”