Avoid Blow v's Parry

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
badbud65
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Avoid Blow v's Parry

Postby badbud65 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:31 pm

Why do errata have to be published as v3.5?

I have the errata for 3rd Ed and this ain't mentioned.

Revisions are OK as long as they add not just takeaway.

Lastly one thing I think needs clearing up is step bonus or just a numerical bonus.

E.g. Aggressive attack neither says +3 step or +3 to the roll.

This inconsistency needs rectifying, in our game all bonuses are assumed to be step bonuses.

This makes certain actions very powerful for low circle characters.

This

arma
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby arma » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:53 pm

Best kaer anywhere.

badbud65

Postby badbud65 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:05 pm

Cheers for that, been trying to find that specific info for a while, typical that its on PG :14

But I think the standard should be steps and that should be made clearer, as in a list of optional rules, which is in the book, but not all are included. Imitative adjustment with armor and strength modifier for one.

But your a wizz with the rules, like it. :-)

arma

Postby arma » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:18 pm

We had it as an optional rule in the ED Classic edition, but that turned out to confuse people more than it helped them simply make a choice to do it one way or the other. Especially because some parts of the rules always required modifying the step (such as with the rank bonuses, and also spells where you determine an Effect Step). So now it says step bonuses by default, but if you want, simply change them all to add to the roll wherever it says "bonus" (and likewise, penalty).
(Also saves some space and time typing, you only ever got "bonus" and not "step bonus" or "adds +2 steps to tests".)
Best kaer anywhere.

galafrone

Postby galafrone » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:37 pm

just dropping the note (for arma and who is interested) we in our campaigns have applied the idea arma discussed a bit on the old forums (or was just the start of this forum, i dont remember)

we have added + 1 to the parry bonuses (deflection bonus) to all the shields and we have halved the size bonus of the weapons (fru).
in this way the thing are more balanced
and for what i can say, it's working really really well
parry has been equalized a bit, even if remains better than avoid blow in a "melee" situation

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:38 am

I like the idea of Phys Deflection +1 as the Parry Bonus for Shields. I'm going to start using that.

And I agree that straight Weapon Size isn't balanced vs straight Deflection Bonus.

I'm going to check the PG. With Phys Deflection +1 setting the Shield Parry Bonus, we have a range of +2 to +5.

1/2 Size (rounded up) for Weapons gives a range of +1 to +3 for most weapons ( and +4 for the Raid Spear). This seems about the right range to go with, and leaves rooms for "Specialized" Thread items which further push the Parry Bonus, or other effects (like the Shield Bond blood charm which gives a shield an additional +2/+0 Deflection Bonus for 1 Strain for a few rounds).

galafrone

Postby galafrone » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:46 am

exactly as i thought telarus, you can have better thread items in this way without throwing out of the window the balance concept :)
in this way a broadsword goes from +3 to +2
a footman shield goes from +2 to +3
so for a 1h+shield basic gear, the +3 remains, but you are parrying with the shield and not with the sword (and that satisfies more my combat vision)
the 2h sword is also +3, so a 2h combatant has the same parrying bomnus of a 1h+shield combatant (but more damage output, against less armor and crit avoidance)
in this way parrying works better, and is less unbalanced when compared with avoid blow (the old +6 of a 2h sword was really ... too much imho)

arma

Postby arma » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:00 am

Magic Bonuses are another part of the consideration, more so for weapons actually than for shields. If you give a Size 7 threaded weapon another bonus to Parry... well.

The DB for shields is actually based on the following formula:
armor divided by two, rounded down, plus initiative penalty (footman's: 3/2 +1 = 1.5 +1 = 1+1 = 2)
I'd simply round up, e.g. every shield with an uneven armor value goes up by 1.

It's a tricky thing, though, because of the added protection against Armor-Defeating hits. That can be huge, comparatively. So I'm more certain about reducing weapon deflection than about increasing shield deflection. Esp. in regards to crystal shields, which would be at +4.
Best kaer anywhere.

meerkat

Postby meerkat » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:49 am

Flash

Postby Flash » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:01 pm

- From Slaves To Legends

Return to “For Players”