Avoid Blow v's Parry

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Slimcreeper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Avoid Blow v's Parry

Postby Slimcreeper » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:37 am

Yeah, they show up in katas, but you never practice them . . . the side block I described I learned in a little escrima clinic and again empty-handed in karate. It's good.

Rogan Rubyeye
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Rogan Rubyeye » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:23 am

All depends on how your GM rationalises the action. Straight mechanics-wise, sure Parry gets the bonus whereas Avoid Blow doesn't, plus you fall prone if you fluff the later test. Roleplaying reality-wise, you have to weigh up if its better to completely avoid being hit by the attack to whether you could absorb/deflect its impact.

Here's how I do it:

Avoid Blow uses DEX + Rank for the test and if successful you completly dodge the attack, which is great if the attack has secondary effects that require contact be made with the target (flaming weapons, poisons, certain spells for instance). Plus you can also try and use it against ranged physical attacks (but not ranged spells). Get a Poor result and you're still hit. Get a Pathetic result and you're also prone.

Parry uses STR + Rank +/- Object Bonus for the test (rather than DEX) as you're trying to absorb or deflect the incoming attack. Can only be used against melee attacks, not ranged ones (unless you want to go into arrow-cutting Talent Knacks...). Object Bonus is either a Shield's Deflection Modifier (Shields are intentionally built to block blows, thus come into their own here, as well as providing higher Armour-Defeating Hit difficulties - double whammy!) or the value of the defender's Weapon Size being minus the attacker's Weapon Size (Representing the fact that using smaller weapons to block bigger ones leaves you at a disadvantage, which also factors in the advantages of greater reach too).

IE: You're using a broadsword to Parry a Dagger (Size 3 - 1) = +2 object bonus in the defender's favour. You're using a Broadsword to Parry a Great Sword (Size 3 - 5) = -2 object penalty against the defender. If you were attempting to Parry a Great Sword with your unarmed flesh, well... (Size 0 - 5) = -5 object penalty to your test and you'd still need a Good Result afterwards. ;)

Another factor that I involve with Parry is the possibility of object damage. Unless you get an Excellent result or higher on your Parry Test, a Shield will possibly get demolished by powerful attacks - IE: I let the attacker roll their Damage Test and treat it as the Attacking a Shield combat option. If the damage value (after deducting the shield's Armour Rating) equals or exceeds the shield's Shatter Threshold, then it's time to go shopping for a new shield. And unless the Parry Tst was a Good result, any excess Damage beyond this value is than also applied to the defender (minus their Armour Rating) to represent the blow cleaving through the shield. This makes the decision of Avoid Blow more useful (and wise) against high STR/Damage Step opponents (Gargoyles, etc) whose attacks will do lots of smashy damage. But hey, at least a shattered shield is better than taking that blow's full potential on your health ratings, right? :D Getting an Extraordinary result on a Parry Test might damage the attaker's weapon or damage them because you've done such an expert job.

Alternatively, should you fail a Parry attempt then you don't get the Armour Value or use the objects Deflection bonus to the resulting damage roll. If you fluff it on a Pathetic result, perhaps you've dropped the item or damage your shield/weapon by -1 Armour point/ Damage step!
"I spy, with my Targeting Eye..."

Ryval

Postby Ryval » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:55 am

Rogan, I love every word of your explanation. Well done. I'd play in that game with that rule any day.

Rogan Rubyeye

Postby Rogan Rubyeye » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:39 am

Cheers Ryval, seems that I haven't entirely wasted sooooo many years as a GM after all ;)
"I spy, with my Targeting Eye..."

Return to “For Players”