Astral Sight.

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Tubben
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Astral Sight.

Postby Tubben » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:05 pm

Hello ;-)

What do have you have to roll, to detect someone with an SD 15 with Astral Sight?

15+, 23+, 27+ ?

Do Shadowcloak / Shadow Hide gives some protection against Astral Sight?

arma
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Astral Sight.

Postby arma » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:27 am

Normal "hide" talents don't normally help.

Just talking about it in another topic, have a look here:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12
Best kaer anywhere.

Crusader

Postby Crusader » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:59 am

Doesn't astral pollution also factor in?

arma

Postby arma » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:06 am

Yes, thought I had mentioned that in the linked thread. Should probably update that.
The important distinction is "6 for imprint, SD for pattern" in any case, which is what's most often the problem with the question.
Best kaer anywhere.

Crusader

Postby Crusader » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:16 am

Yes, Astral space is more detailed in this edition, which is nice. My own group had some head scratching when it turned out that astral sight was now able to identify what items are magical in the big pile 'o' loot. I think it also needs some careful attention on the part of the GM. Purifier is a good example of an item where this trick shouldn't work so easily. Also, rulings like a thin sheet of lead being able to block the perception can be added by a GM to hide away loot in hidden compartments. There needs to be SOME challenge to finding magical loot sometimes. If players clear a dungeon and then fail their search checks, it shouldn't be as easy as the Nethermancer activating Astral sight and taking a stroll through the place to identify the spots they missed.

arma

Postby arma » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:12 am

Easiest option in my book is illusions, as they are represented on the astral plane accordingly.
While normally magic is easily visible, the illusion of a non-magical wall will look non-magical on the astral plane.
While using Astral Sight against it counts as sensing, and allows to more easily see through it than with basic PER, it's similar to spotting something vs. Spell Defense only.
Best kaer anywhere.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:20 am

The "thin sheet of lead" block actually works, if you think about it. Not literally, but it wouldn't be much of a stretch, given the ease/ubiquity of astral sight, for low power enchantments to have developed that are focused on blocking/screening astral sensing. Because anything magical has an imprint/pattern, it can obscure things behind it.

Also, because 'magic' is so ubiquitous, the idea of "sensing" magic items (a classic D&D trope that was often done to keep loot out of the hands of inept or careless players) probably isn't a big deal. In a world where any schmuck can grab your +5 vorpal sword and kill you, it is important that people don't realize the sword is magical. In a world where you need to sink a lot of time and energy into making that blad a vorpal sword (for you), it isn't as crucial that you hide its nature -- because even if some random schmuck picks up Purifier, it won't be much different than an off-the-rack broadsword.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Tubben

Postby Tubben » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:31 am

Even if it's now getting of topic.

But what do you do against the magican who just casts "Inventory (p.179, players guide)" on a room ?.

thezombiekat

Postby thezombiekat » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:04 am

Inventory doesn’t reveal any magical property’s the item may have, just what is there. If a powerful magic long sword is in an armoury with 19 non magical long swords the inventory will say “20 long swords”
This spell is primarily useful for seeing if you missed something small. Say the single air coin in a chest of copper you weren’t going to carry home.

It might also give you a hint to something more powerful if you get inventory incomplete, the only items with a high spell defence are magic so it tells you to look closer, but not what you should look for.

Runemaster

Postby Runemaster » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:51 pm

Hi,

my english is very bad, so i hope you nevertheless understand what i want to ask.

First, sorry for reactivate the post, but i have another question concerning Astral Sight and do not want to open a new post.

When I use the Astral Sight Talent to look around and successfully make the first Astral Sensing Test against the Spell Defense of astral space, I can see the astral imprint of everthing within the range of the astral sensing ability, right?

Can I identify wether the imprints I see, are the imprints of rats or name-givers for example or do I take a closer look by making an additional Astral Sensing Test against the Spell Defense of all imprints I see?

In the Players Guide Page 111 it is mentioned that non-magical or non-living objects partially obscure the imprint of an object behind them. A Good result is needed to see it.

If I try to detect an archer hiding behind a tree, could I see the archer via astral sensing? Which result level is needed for that?

that's all ... at the moment
greetings

Return to “For Players”