Co-Operative Actions

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Banjo666
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Co-Operative Actions

Postby Banjo666 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:06 am

I can't find anywhere in the rules anything on co-operative actions, where 1 character is attempting a task assisted by one or more companions.
Are there any guidelines on this ??

Cheers, Banjo

Telarus_KSC
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Co-Operative Actions

Postby Telarus_KSC » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:36 am

There are very "one-off" rules entries, such as the Aid Summoner Spirit Power, and the Collaberate Air Sailor 4th Circle Ability.

I think there might be some blood magic rules as well. Nothing "standard" that I can remember, so it probably depends on the specific situation you had in mind.

On a side-note: this is one of the reasons I developed my Unit scale mass-combat system, where I can just roll one attack for the whole Unit, and add +2 or +4 depending on if the Unit can bring to action 2 members per target, or 3 per target. I need to re-post that somewhere over here and clean it up again.

arma

Postby arma » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:46 am

There's not much on it, mainly for three reasons:
1) You can set Difficulty Numbers as you see fit, and work via Difficulty Numbers rather than via bonuses. E.g. climbing a wall may be DN 9. If someone helps you up, you'd lower the DN to for example 6, instead of giving a +3 bonus from help. (Doesn't work for all types of tests, but see the two points below.)
2) Much of what a character does is from magic, and you can't always add something else to a magical source of power.
3) There are a number of abilities that intend to help someone else. Distract, Inspire Others, etc.. These most often cover areas where #1 doesn't work. Characters are not supposed to achieve identical effects with mundane means, e.g. you're not supposed to be able to distract someone in combat just by calling out at them, that would make the Distract talent useless. (On the other hand, the talent guarantees the effect, while it would otherwise be just a GM call.)
Best kaer anywhere.

Dougansf

Postby Dougansf » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:51 pm

I would like to see something like this as well.

The closest I've found so far has been the Talent Linking Knack. But it requires the 2 involved to be of the same Discipline, and know the Talent in question.

I can understand having to know the Talent, but being of the same Discipline is annoying. It makes sense in game because it means they view the magic of the Talent in very similar ways.

Banjo666

Postby Banjo666 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:01 pm

thezombiekat

Postby thezombiekat » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Having built a boat (ok, helped my dad build a boat) I can say that help in such a task would not affect the likelihood of having a good boat at the end, but the time it takes to build, or in the case of larger boats whether you could even move some of the timbers.

Breaking down a door however you can apply more strength if there are more people so an increase to step would make most sense.

Climbing with help however is easier than climbing without help so the difficulty goes down.

So a simple rule like +2 for each helper isn’t really going to moddle every situation well.

Neverbourne

Postby Neverbourne » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:46 pm

Banjo666

Postby Banjo666 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:16 pm

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:13 am

Matter of preference. I'm much more likely just to want to make something up. I've got a reasonable understanding of how the world works. I'd just make it up. But I'm more into the characters than I am the rules per se.

thezombiekat

Postby thezombiekat » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:10 am

Return to “For Players”