Dumb Questions

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Slimcreeper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Dumb Questions

Postby Slimcreeper » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:58 pm

I've read this as recreating the last few rounds, literally. The nethermancer inhabits the soon-to-be-deceased body - literally sending his mind back in time. If the last few moments were violent, then the GM narrates the combat - "the blade strikes your body, slashing skin and tearing flesh, dealing 15 points of damage. You turn, but instead of striking back, fling the Duke's ring into the river. The last thing you see is the windling's sneering face as she drives the blade towards your face. You take an additional 23 points of damage as darkness takes you." It reads like the spellcaster could end the spell early, but I don't think I'd allow it.

Razan_GM
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Razan_GM » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:03 am

Its nowhere written that it requires Concentration (capital letters are very important).

What it says is: "...The magician must enter into a trance, concentrating to maintain the spell. While in this state, he senses everything from the point of view of the deceased...."

So once spell is cast, magician cannot end this spell as he is just a viewer of the events "from the point of view of the deceased", until spell ends.

As for damage I would say: Because magician cannot take Wounds from this spell, all damage is added up, Mystic Armor is subtracted just once.

As this spell gives great power to look into past, its suppose to be dangerous.

Pixel01

Postby Pixel01 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:57 am

Which skills would you use to talk your way out of trouble ala Fast Talk? Conversation? Bribery?

Razan_GM

Postby Razan_GM » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:48 pm

Slough Blame, Flirting :P

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:53 pm

Depends on how you do it. I would let the player choose with a great deal of liberty, keeping in mind that some NPCs aren't going to be receptive to some kinds of interaction. It's easy to give opportunities to use combat skills and easy to invest in them. If a player takes the social skills, I say let them use them.

etherial

Postby etherial » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:26 pm

You forgot the greatest Fast Talk Power in the game: Bedazzling Display of Logical Analysis.

Flowswithdrek

Postby Flowswithdrek » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:12 pm

True Fire (and all the rest) - is there a silver piece value for the True Elements given in any of the books (it doesn't matter what edition)... If not does anyone care to speculate?

Razan_GM

Postby Razan_GM » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:54 pm

3ed book, Players Companion p.161:
True Element Cost per Kernel \ Availability
True Air 50–100 \ Very Rare
True Earth 5–10 \ Rare
True Fire 50–100 \ Very Rare
True Water 5–10 \ Rare
True Wood 25–50 \ Very Rare
Orichalcum 500–1,000 \ Very Rare

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:02 pm

The mining process of all True Elements produces "kernels", raw sparks of the element (almost corn-kernel sized pin-pricks in reality back to the elemental plane) which directly interact with the elements in their environment. So these kernels are kept in Orichalcum boxes, usually 5 to a box, or 20 to a box. The 20-kernel sized Orichalcum Box is on p421 of the Player's Guide (table on p436, Cost 5,000 SP, Weight 1, Rare).

Price for Kernels are not given yet in the 4th Edition material (Fire and Air are mentioned in the Airship rules in the past, as I'm tidying those up I need to note to try to find other references, thanks).

Kernels are also forged into Coins (probably with a bit of Orichalcum-alloy to stabilize them). These are listed as Special Coins, Player's Guide p405. "A single earth or water coin is worth 100 silver, and ten earth or water coins equal one air or fire piece. Ten air or fire coins are worth one orichalcum coin"

At this time, you have to decide the exchange rate between Kernels and the various Coins (Copper/Silver/Gold/Earth-Water/Fire-Air/Orichalcum), i.e. how many kernels goes into a coin type will affect it's trade-value, but also rarity will drive that base-value up or down. According to my notes, Fire and Air kernels are going to cost 100 SP each just before the Throal-Theran War. Earth/Water kernels probably cost 1/10 of that based on the coin relationships (& if it takes the same # of kernels to make each coin type). The 3rd Edition Kernel Cost Table shows this as well, and the price variation could represent rarity or even quality of each Kernel(but tracking that gets weird, so I'd say all kernels are the same quality, but regional prices vary).

3rd Edition True Element Kernel Cost Table
Element Cost per Kernel (Availability)
True Air 50–100 (Very Rare)
True Earth 5–10 (Rare)
True Fire 50–100 (Very Rare)
True Water 5–10 (Rare)
True Wood 25–50 (Very Rare)
Orichalcum 500–1,000 (Very Rare)

Flowswithdrek

Postby Flowswithdrek » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:09 am

Cheers Guys, I knew I had seen it somewhere before. Consider this more of an exasperated question than a dumb question. I will go away now happy and think of a suitably dumb question :)

Return to “For Players”