Is a recovery test a "toughness-only" test?

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ChrisDDickey
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Is a recovery test a "toughness-only" test?

Postby ChrisDDickey » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:57 am

I don't think the book ever explicitly defines what exactly an attribute-only test is. I believe I know, but if it is written down anywhere, I can't find it.
It says that the recovery test is "based" upon the toughness step, but not that it "is" a toughness test.

The Wizard 5th spell says that it grants a +4 bonus to strength-only tests, damage tests, and toughness-only tests.
So would Giant Size give a +4 bonus to recovery tests?
Last edited by ChrisDDickey on Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Razan_GM

Re: Is a recovery test a "toughness-only" test?

Postby Razan_GM » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:10 am

Recovery test is not Toughness test, it only uses the Toughness step. Just like Initiative uses Dex step.
Giant Size, as I see it, wasn't meant to be healing boosting spell, so I wouldn't allow its bonuses to Recovery.
But your GM has last word.

There are no more Atribute-only tests, so it Should be:
Effect:+4 bonus to Strength, Toughness, and Damage tests
"...If successful, the target immediately grows 50 percent larger than his normal size, gaining a +4 bonus to Stength and Toughness-BASED tests, which includes Damage tests."

This was discussed on forum.

The Undying

Postby The Undying » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:16 pm

Slight subtly - I think most old actions that were "Attribute-only" tests were eliminated, but I don't think that there are NO more Attribute-only tests. If you're lifting something over your standard max allowance (thinks someone trying to hold open a closing gate so his companions can get through), that's Strength-only - I can't think of a single Skill/Talent that replaces that. Don't have the rulebook handy, but I think poison and disease resistance are straight Toughness tests. Now, that being said, I still think it's worth examining any linger spells/effects/etc that make any reference to "Attribute-only" to see if the new design/rule still wants that distinction as a limiting factor or if it was just copy-pasta that needs updating.

Razan_GM

Postby Razan_GM » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:44 am

What I meant there is no more mentioning in Books of "Attribute-only (Strenght and so on)" tests, there are simply Attribute tests. Only place that I found Attribute-only tests are mentioned is in Giant Size spell.

Also look at Giant Size post:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1779&p=17459&hilit=giant+size#p17457

Return to “For Players”