New Illusionist Spells Ideas

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
DocSmiley
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

New Illusionist Spells Ideas

Postby DocSmiley » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:33 am

Some spells I made up for the campaign I'm currently in. I would love some feedback on them.

Perfume
Illusionist 2
Threads: 1
Casting: TMD
Range: 2 yards
Duration: Rank minutes
Effect: WF+2
Illusion. Alters target's scent. The illusionist may make the target scentless in which case attempts to track the target by scent during the spell's duration must overcome the effect test.
Extra Successes: +2 minutes
Extra Threads: +2 minutes, +1 target, +10 yards, +2 Effect Test

Quicksand
Illusionist 2
Threads: 0
Casting: 6
Range: 10 yards
Duration: Rank+5 rounds
Area of effect: 10 yard radius
Effect: WF+2
Illusion. Causes an area to become difficult terrain and is concealed until a target enters the area. Targets crossing through the area must make WIL vs effect or movement reduced to 0 for the round (in addition to the half move from difficult terrain). Despite the name this does work on creatures and adepts that are not touching the ground but within 5 yards vertically as the ground appears to open up and attempt to swallow them with a strong downdraft.
Extra Successes: +2 Effect Step
Extra Threads: +2 Effect Step, +2 rounds, -Rank targets, +2 yards radius

Cone of silence
Illusionist 3
Threads: 2
Casting: TMD+
Range: Touch
Area of effect: 10 yards
Illusion. Creates an invisible barrier that prevents sound from passing in/out but does not silence those inside. Subtle visual effects obscure reading and lip reading through the barrier making eavesdropping and subtle visual message passing all but impossible without being noticed. If cast in an enclosed space the barrier conforms naturally to the confines of the area stopping at doors, windows and the like as long as there is a definitive break in the area. This prevents the spell from spilling out into hallways and adjacent rooms. Casting difficulty is the highest mystic defense in the area of effect +1 for each additional target.
Extra successes: +2 minutes
Extra threads: +2 minutes, +/-2 yards radius

Impeccable Armor
Illusionist 3
Threads: 0
Duration: Rank rounds
Illusion. This spell temporarily repairs all of the target's armor and clothing and makes them appear to be undamaged and uninjured. The subject also no longer feels the pain of their wounds allowing them to ignore up to 3 wounds worth of step penalties. The spell ends if the subject takes a new wound in excess of what the spell suppresses or if a new wound causes the target to fail a knockdown test. If the subject is suffering from the Pain spell this spell suppresses the false wounds but not the movement penalty. Additionally all talents and abilities used to determine the target's stats (creature analysis, size up and similar abilities) report those stats as 3 higher.
Extra Successes: +2 rounds
Extra Threads: +1 wound and stat, +2 rounds, +10 yards, +1 target

Sphere of Obscurement 
Illusionist 4
Threads: 3
Casting: TMD (6)
Range: Touch
Duration: Rank*10 minutes
Area of effect: 40 yards radius
Illusion. Causes local natural conditions to obscure the target object, creature or location. Casting difficulty is 6 or the highest MD in the area. -1 step sight penalty for every hex of obscurement between viewer and target. Completely hidden after 4 intervening hexes. This spell also muffles sounds within the area of effect, -2 steps for anyone in the AoE to hear any sound or anyone outside to hear noise generated inside. Astral space also becomes cloudy giving +1 MD for each intervening hex which applies only to sensing tests but does not provide protection against spells, talents or powers. Casting this spell on an airship for example would make the ship appear to be a cloud travelling through the sky but may somewhat hinder navigation.
Extra Successes: +10 minutes
Extra Threads: +10 yards, +10 minutes, -Rank targets

Curse of the Droning Voice
Illusionist 5
Threads: 1
Effect: WF+4
Illusion. Causes the target's voice to crack or otherwise become monotonous and annoying. All of the target's CHA based tests are reduced by 2 steps per success level. Target may make a WIL test vs the effect test to end the spell.
Extra successes: +2 Effect
Extra threads: +2 rounds, +10 yards, +1 target, +2 Effect

Warp Space
Illusionist 7
Threads: 3
Casting: Highest Allied TMD
Range: Self
Area of Effect: 40 yard radius
Illusion. Area of effect centered on caster, can affect up to Rank friendly targets. Conceals and accelerates movement allowing effective unlimited movement within the AoE (Charging in limited space, including turns, is ok; running circles around your opponents with a rope is not). If an affected character has moved in a given round then the target of their attack is considered blindsided. Characters who see through the illusion are not subject to the blindside penalty. The area moves with the caster.
Extra successes: +2 rounds
Extra threads: +2 rounds, +rank targets, +10 yards

Slimcreeper

Re: New Illusionist Spells Ideas

Postby Slimcreeper » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:02 pm

I like it!

Perfume - my kind of spell. Can you apply it to an object too? Could you put it on a timer? Perfume a silver with the distinct smell of fish and slip it into the diplomat's purse and walk away?

Quicksand - very practical. I'm not sure about the visual of the downdraft effect, although I can picture it with a gravity effect that pulls them to earth. Should it be illusion or a real effect?

Impeccable armor has quite a lot going on. I'd be tempted to break that last effect off into another spell, something that makes the target broadly impressive.

Sphere of Obscurement - I like this effect and that it changes based on the environment. I might have it center on an object, such as the main mast or my hat, and create a hollow sphere of the spells radius. Inside is has normal visibility, but looking out causes a -4 penalty to perception, and looking in has a -8 penalty to perception. Disbelieved/dispelled as normal.

I'll try to look at the others later, but there is a toddler climbing on me.

DocSmiley

Re: New Illusionist Spells Ideas

Postby DocSmiley » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:39 pm

Return to “For Players”