Extra Successes allowing extra Targets

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Tattered Rags
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Extra Successes allowing extra Targets

Postby Tattered Rags » Wed May 25, 2016 1:22 pm

Attack the horse, not the rider, eh?

Edit: While I don't think this "exploit" breaks anything, perhaps a feasible way of limiting it while still allowing the neat tactic is to houserule the extra target needs to be close to the original. This would not apply to extra targets generated by extra threads. As it stands, getting an extra success on someone 20 yards in one direction allows you to hit someone else 20 yards in the opposite direction.

Tattered Rags
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Tattered Rags » Wed May 25, 2016 3:43 pm

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Wed May 25, 2016 4:27 pm

Ehhhh ... I would _not_ let them bootstrap. Or what would stop you from targeting a tree to get the lower MD? Too ripe for abuse.

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Wed May 25, 2016 4:32 pm

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Wed May 25, 2016 4:41 pm

But under other legitimate circumstances they might want to target a tree. What if I wanted to set it on fire and blast it into a gully to block an escape route?

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Wed May 25, 2016 9:08 pm

The funny thing is, you can rationalize away anything through the metaphysics. Reach a "gentleman's agreement" on acceptable usage and then come up with why the magic doesn't allow it.

Or, better, make the search for why an adventure.

I'd say, after your comment, that targeting non-combative plant life and objects simply doesn't allow for forking off a new target. Etc. Etc.

But, that's all house ruling.

Edit: I take that back. I actually like the idea of it forking to other trees and causing a big mess. So, I'd let it do that.

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Wed May 25, 2016 11:47 pm

Wow, talk about a talent crisis. Zorching poor trees just to practice your aim. (Oh, right. That's a pre 4E term that means you have some-how become out-of-alignment with the core tenets of your discipline, thus losing access to your magic until you can figure out how to re-attune your actions/beliefs.)

Note also how big things in metal armor usually have lower MD than other things. ;P The limit on initial targets (+threads) and additional targets (+successes) given by the dice probabilities is fine by me. Now... when that player rolls a crazy 67 when when throwing a lightning bolt into a group of undead mooks and their Horror commander, you won't have to do any crazy math. Just compare it to the lowest MD in front of him (proabably 12-ish), and have it jump to the next 11 characters ***ZAA-AAAA-A-AAA-AA-AAP**

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Thu May 26, 2016 9:27 am

Duvvelsheyss

Return to “For Players”