Spell Sketches

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Slimcreeper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Spell Sketches

Postby Slimcreeper » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:07 am

I have a number of incomplete illusionist spells I'm working up. Any suggestions for circles, threads, effects, etc are more than welcome. If you guys like these, I have more. There was a major brainstorm here the other day!

Numb Senses
Threads: 1 Weaving:
Casting: TMD Range: 30 yards
Duration: 5+Rounds
Effect: Numbs one of the 5 senses

Illusion. Depending on the sense the magician wishes to numb, the gestures for this spell vary. To dull scent, the magician might hold his or her nose, while for hearing, he or she might cover the ears. If the spellcasting test is successful, the target has -2 per success to all perception tests using that test. The spell doesn’t actually block the sense - once the target senses something, he or she can see, taste, etc it normally. For example, it might keep you from noticing the creeping odor of noxious gas, but if someone says, “Blimey, but it stinks in here!” and you make the sensing test, you’ll be able to smell it normally. You would have a harder time spotting a hidden door, but once you found it, you’d be able to open it normally. It may be more difficult to spot the assassin, but once you have there won’t be any further trouble hitting the villain.

Monster in Your Midst
Threads: Weaving:
Casting: TMD Range: 30 yards
Duration:Rank Rounds
Effect: Causes target to appear to be possessed by an evil spirit

Illusion. The Illusionist stares at the target with increasing horror as he or she weaves the threads, then makes a spellcasting test against the highest Mystic Defense of the target group. If successful, a bilious green fog appears to bubble out of the target’s mouth and nostrils, covering the unfortunate and seeming to change him into a netherworldly monster. The spell won’t make the victim actually attack, but makes all of his or her movements towards allies appear to be aggressive postures, and all attempts at speaking into hideous screeches and howls.

Painless
Casting: TMD Range: Touch
Duration: Rank Rounds
Effect: DIsguises the effect of wounds

For the duration of the spell’s effect, the target doesn’t feel any pain. In fact, he or she is positively giddy. All wound penalties are ignored, but if the target makes any tests, he or she takes strain damage equal to the wound penalty. The strain can cause a new wound, but if it does the spell immediately ends.

Cutting Remarks
Casting: TMD Range: 20 yards
Duration: N/A
Effect: Will, -2 to Social Defense

Illusion. The illusionist delivers such cutting, painful insults that the target takes illusory damage. The target must be able to understand the illusionist. The illusionist weaves the thread and casts the spell while insulting the target, then makes a spellcasting test against the target’s Mystic Defense. If successful, the spell causes effect damage and the target suffers -2 to Social defense until the end of the following round. If the target is currently under the effects of Taunt, he also takes damage equal to the the penalty taunt imposes.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Re: Spell Sketches

Postby Mataxes » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:50 am

I don't have time right now to offer much advice on Circle, etc. But I have to say like these.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:37 pm

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:22 pm

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 pm

Thanks everyone!

Baravakar -

I agree with everything you say about Numb Senses.

With Monster in Your Midst, it should target the character that is transformed, but the illusion affects everyone who sees it. They may attempt to disbelieve it, and any ability that tries to understand what happened to the victim (astral sight, divine aura, creature analysis, even Knowledge: Astral Flora and Fauna) should act as a sensing test. There's nothing that forces the others to attack the victim, or preventing the victim from attacking the illusionist. This is something I imagine throwing out prior to combat or at a fancy dinner party to confuse things.

Regarding Painless, you make a lot of good points. This needs some more thought. I want it to be a sometimes buff, sometimes debuff. Maybe it could only cause strain when the target makes a test that is a standard, sustained, or simple action. Free tests wouldn't apply. Perhaps we could add some flavor so that the target knows he is taking damage. "When the target takes the strain, there are clues that all is not right - spellcasting may cause blood to gush from her nose and ears. A previously closed wound could split open, or nearly-knit broken bones could crunch ominously." That way he wouldn't be likely to accidentally strain himself into unconsciousness.

I like what you've said about Cutting Remarks. I've thought more about this and I don't know that hurt feelings would be enough to create the illusion of physical damage. Perhaps the mage should deliver the insults while weaving the threads. Then when she casts the spell, a whip of energy should snap between her and the target, delivering the damage.

I do like the requirement that the target understand the insults. I think it would make the illusion easier to cast.

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:17 pm

ArcadianRefugee

Postby ArcadianRefugee » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:32 am

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:58 pm

Numb Senses only affects perception tests. It is a perception test debuff only, and only for one sense. It doesn't affect attacks or anything like that. But it might also let you stomach dwarf mine rations for one more day.

ArcadianRefugee

Postby ArcadianRefugee » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:03 pm

Ah, I see.

And I like that idea for the rations. Illusionary flavors! (Or lack thereof)

Return to “For Players”