[Ed4] Questors powers

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Razan_GM
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

[Ed4] Questors powers

Postby Razan_GM » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:56 am

Can we get any thoughts on Thystonius Questors powers?

Mataxes
Site Admin

Re: [Ed4] Questors powers

Postby Mataxes » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:26 am

In what sense?
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Razan_GM

Postby Razan_GM » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:59 am

As my players love to play them, how they going to work in ed4?

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:37 pm

Ah. Well.

I don't know yet. We're only in the basic conceptual stages at the moment.

I don't like way questor powers have worked in the past; that is, a single talent that gives access to multiple powers, all at the same effective rank as the talent. Some of the powers are kind of lame. Questors of Mad Passions have more powers than the normal ones (with the additional ones provided in Secret Societies).

Ideally, I would like to see a little bit more variety in the powers available, and a bit more ability to customize which powers a given questor has, rather than all of them necessarily being the same.

I'm not looking to have them get full write-ups like an adept. I don't think there is enough depth for that.

I'm undecided on Devotion Points. Until we've figured out what shape the power structures are, it doesn't make much sense to try and figure out how that advancement mechanic (if it gets kept) fits into the whole thing.

I'm hoping that if we get questor powers where I want them, it would serve as a good template or starting point for half-magic adepts and other magical traditions or secret societies (Lightbearers?).

The idea I tossed out there so that it would sit in the team's brainpan and stew for a while is to perhaps have it resemble Versatility -- that is, you have a questor talent, and each power chosen from an available list and put into 'slots' based on the questor talent rank.

I don't know if it will work, and that plan would require some expansion on the available powers. But I think it's promising.
Josh Harrison --

BahtRastard

Postby BahtRastard » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:19 pm

I think treating the Questor power as a variation of the versatility talent would work better. A players rank in Questor would qrant a number of powers equal to the Questor rank with the max rank of each power equal to the rank in Questor. I also think some sort of devotion point mechanic will be necessary to keep the Questor abilities from becoming just another buff to the character with points spent at the journeyman level or higher. Another change I would suggest is allowing a larger list of powers to choose from with each Passion mandating certain powers and prohibiting certain others, similar to way powers are chosen for spirits,
Gold and Silver we have not, but steel we have aplenty- Lathryus Vorpatril

Sangius

Postby Sangius » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:08 am

I like the idea of questor powers working similarly to the versatility talent too, in principle. However, I feel questors should still be unique - the devotion point mechanic should, in my opinion, be part of that. But there should also be talents (knacks) that might not be around as general talents so far, representing the unique features of the passion the questor adheres too. I remember for instance that there were some discussions as to whether the old liberator discipline might be transformed into an aspect of the Lochost questor - which would require some of the old talents to show up again ...

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:29 am

That is one of the things being looked at -- I think there are too few 'questor powers' and if the versatility-style mechanic goes forward, more options will be provided.

Keep in mind that right now this is all in a vague conceptual state, and may change down the road. We've got three other books before we get there!
Josh Harrison --

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:53 pm

The Versatility style Talent is an interesting concept, and I think that could be interesting provided there are enough options to choose from.

Just to toss this idea out there, more for a house rule idea than an actual official concept, for the Devotion Points mechanic; in my campaign I allowed players to utilize Devotion Points gained to Passions they were not Questors of in order to gain a one-time Step bonus to a single action following the domain of that Passion. I kept it on the Fibonacci sequence same as Talent progression, but did it at a 10x multiplier rather than 100x. I generally limited it to a +3 bonus at any one time (sometimes the Passion would be persuaded to go higher if it was a particularly dire situation and the player had the points), and I always required the boost be declared before the die roll was made.

So for example, say an Elementalist spends some of her off time casting Thrive for some farmers to help boost their crop yields in order to get through a dry patch. Jaspree takes notice of her work to boost the presence of nature and gives a small devotion award of 10 points. She does similar small acts a few more times in her travels and gets a total of 50 points. Later on, she encounters a group of Theran slavers attempting to burn down a section of jungle in order to capture some runaway slaves. She decides to intervene to help defend the forest. The fight is rough, and she needs to get off a strong Fireball on the group of slavers in order to put them down. She calls upon Jaspree to aid her in this endeavor, utilizing the favor Jaspree has previously granted her to gain a boost to her Spellcasting roll. She spends all the devotion points she can to get a +2 bonus (10 for +1 plus 20 for +2 = 30 points spent). If she had just 10 more points, she could have spent them all to get a +3 bonus (10 for +1 plus 20 for +2 plus 30 for +3 = 60 points).

It's important to note that once these points are spent, they are gone; the player has cashed in the favor with the Passion. If they later wanted to become a Questor for that Passion, or if they wanted more points for another bonus, they would have to perform more acts of devotion to earn all new points.

Return to “For Players”