Provoke (Opponent, Close Combat)

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Baravakar
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Provoke (Opponent, Close Combat)

Postby Baravakar » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:04 pm

Razan_GM

Re: Provoke (Opponent, Close Combat)

Postby Razan_GM » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:36 pm

Page 112. Warrior
Talents and Abilities
Novice Talent Options: Acrobatic
Defense, Anticipate Blow, Danger Sense, Distract,
Fireblood, Maneuver, Missile Weapons, Shield
Bash, Tactics, Unarmed Combat

New magic eye for you Barav :P

As for if Provoke can be used with all creatures of the same kind, just like with bulls, most of the time same thing works for all, but sometimes you can meet a weird one. Because Distract and Provoke both make you the target I would say the last used works. Simple and elegant.

No need for a new Talent, thanks to this option anyone can do it. Many times I let players to provoke some monsters, long before it was a new rule presented here, its more fun that way, especially watching a troll running with goat on his back to drag away some espagras :)

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:13 pm

Generally speaking, provoke is an option available on creatures that are generally considered tempermental or ornery in some way. There are 24 creatures in the Creatures chapter that have the "provoke" option available to them.

Once a character has learned about an option/tactic through creature analysis or creature lore, they know it for that creature, and I don't see any reason why they can't share that knowledge. It's not specified in the rules (and I'll see if a clarification can be squeezed in), but it makes no sense to have an option introduced that requires a character to have a specific ability.

Provoke does not supersede Distract. If a character in a group has Distract, Provoke will probably not see much use, as Distract is pretty clearly better (intentionally).
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

etherial

Postby etherial » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:24 pm

I think the idea is that you can try to Provoke any creature, but it will only work on the ones that have game stats for it.

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:19 pm

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:38 pm

I did not like the "master list" of powers setup in ED3. I greatly prefer having the rules available right there with the creature stat block so I don't have to flip back and forth to look things up. (So, for example, I can print the stat block from the PDF and use it during combat in a game.)

That said, the (in development) guidelines for creating/customizing creatures should include a list of the options/tactics provided to creatures in the GM Guide and Companion.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:34 am

I am so completely with Mataxes on this. I HATE the master list of powers. You should know that I have perhaps never put a word in all-caps on the internet.

Razan_GM

Postby Razan_GM » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:15 am

I second that. Many times i had flashes of creativity during the game and checking what power do what was so annoying and time consuming.

Return to “For Players”