Spot Armor Flaw

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Roth
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Spot Armor Flaw

Postby Roth » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:52 am

Mataxes
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Mataxes » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:50 am

Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

etherial

Postby etherial » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:07 am

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:31 pm

Josh Harrison --

Roth

Postby Roth » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:17 pm

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:23 pm

Meh, they missed a tiny bit of context in on Talent, and now it's up to each GM. The wording on that one has stayed pretty consistent from 1st edition, except for the "Armor Defeating at one less success level" part changing to +2 on Damage Tests per success.

The mechanics issue I see is that caster all get Willforce now, filling this same "slot" of damage-buff for spellcasters. For my games, I'd rule Spot Armor Flaw applies to Melee/Ranged attacks only. Spells are not "aimed" like melee/ranged attacks: you can aim a spell with your eyes closed, if you are certain of the target's location - like you are touching them, etc.

This context exists in the Metaphysics of Magic chapter, ED4 page 254 "Targeting Spells", and to me is the context needed to make that ruling, instead of selectively quoting just the talent. This tells me that a spellcaster isn't concerned about specific hit locations on the target. But it's up to you... Would you let a caster used the Called Shot combat option with a spell (a near parallel)?

This is a minor ambiguity... nothing like trying to decipher 0/1st edition D&D, Gygax's prose & the various spread out rules that don't quite use consistent terms for Dungeon Exploration (which I'm trying to condense into an ED system). :ack!:

Roth

Postby Roth » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:44 pm

This is one of the issues that crops up when you change how the system works.
Spot Armor Flaw in the past 3 editions has been a debuff, now it's a buff

The only thing Baravakar can do is quote the rule book. Pointing out to both Josh and Morgan how the game works. It is not Baravakar's fault that Josh and Morgan didn't fully appreciate all of the consequences of changing how the game works.

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:23 pm

Hm. I don't think that's totally relevant. Even 1st edition allowed spells to achieve Armor Defeating Hits (p153), so that hasn't changed (except extra successes are used for all spells now). First editions combat rules state under "Make Attack Test" that "..be it with a weapon spell, or talent," and the Spot Armor Flaw talent modifies Damage from Attack Tests.

Huh, I may have talked myself into ruling the other way, lol. I guess the only important point is to make it consistent with Show Armor Flaw (which opens the bonus up to your allies). It's odd that this hasn't come up before now, actually. It may have on one of the other ED forums lost to time....

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:42 pm

Josh Harrison --

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:37 pm

Josh Harrison --

Return to “For Players”