A few questions.

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Kremlin KOA
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: A few questions.

Postby Kremlin KOA » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:30 pm

Yes bone dance does leave the target vulnerable and able to be wailed upon for the duration, as long as the Nethermancer keeps making the effect rolls.
Notably in 3rd ed, making this work, most of the time, requires use of willforce every round.
Other than that, the main repercussion to the Nethermancer is severe risk of Alcohol poisoning.. from all the drinks his buddies buy him for keepinmg the horror helpless.

thezombiekat
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby thezombiekat » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:05 am

Yeh, your free kick them while the nethermancer holds them down.

meerkat

Postby meerkat » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:33 pm

arma

Postby arma » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:51 am

Not your imagination.
Paying once is the correct way to do it.

(Normally, there's a rule of thumb that we put into widespread use in ED3 where if you roll something, you pay its cost. It was a concept we wanted to communicate to the players. So that was what I had in the back of my head when I said it's Strain every time. But you don't actually roll Willforce when you make an Effect Test. When you cast a spell, you determine a new Step based on Willforce, and then that becomes "locked" into the spell formula, and the spell becomes independent from the caster. It's this "locking into" that is the use of Willforce, not the subsequent Effect Tests. Just the same, when you have a spell with a Duration based on Rank, and you later get a bonus to the Rank, the Duration stays the same.)
Best kaer anywhere.

Semanar

Postby Semanar » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:52 am

thezombiekat

Postby thezombiekat » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:06 pm

I think it prevents them taking actions but I am a 5 hour drive from my books and I could be thinking 2nd edition

crzydevil

Postby crzydevil » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:12 pm

I'm pretty sure the last sentence in the spell description (If failed, the target regains control that round—he may move and act of his own accord.) means that as long as the Effect Test is successful, that the target can make no actions.

Semanar

Postby Semanar » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:29 am

OK. Could we please get some (semi)official ruling on this? Or is it better to start a new "Bone Dance" thread?
I think it would be too powerful for a 1st Circle spell to effectively mimic the effect of 3rd circle "Pain" (no action possible) so easily. I know that casting Bone Dance takes time, but still...

S.

meerkat

Postby meerkat » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:23 pm

Would be nice, in our campaign bone dance isn't very usefull even if successful (IMHO) while no action possible would make it very much so..

Its the "he may move AND ACT of his own accord" that suggest a successful test means he cannot control his actions..but we don't play it that way in our campaign..

arma

Postby arma » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:29 am

Bone dance is just about the movement.
(Otherwise, there wouldn't be a need for the Harried modifier -- if you can't really act on your own accord, the -2 to your actions isn't necessary.)
With the spell, the caster's main "cost" is giving up his Standard Action for concentration, making the target effectively loose his MR, plus making him Harried.
You still can make the target pretty helpless with this if you just stay at range and shoot, and the target can't close in...
Best kaer anywhere.

Return to “For Players”