[ED4] Astral Interference

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
kosmit

[ED4] Astral Interference

Postby kosmit » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:46 am

1) This talent affects adept who used it as well as others?
2) You inlcude all Mystic Defenses within area? Magic items, magic wards and even poisons? If the Mystic Defense of the Astral Space is higher than that of something within area you need to beat Mystic Defense of an Astral Space? For example in are we got two thugs with MD of 7, Magician with MD of 11 and area is corrupted (+12 to MD of 6, so MD 18) you need to roll against 18?
3) Magician MD is considered when checking for highest in the area?
Duvvelsheyss

Mataxes
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [ED4] Astral Interference

Postby Mataxes » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:01 am

1) Yes. (This is why Wizards have a spell to counter its effects.)
2) I wouldn't use magic items/wards/etc, just Namegivers/GM Characters. Modifiers for astral corruption do not apply to the DN for this talent. (The only thing those modifiers apply to is astral sensing DNs.)
3) Yes.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

ChrisDDickey
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ChrisDDickey » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:22 pm

The "Astral Interference" talent and the "Baseline Subtraction" spell are giving my imagination fits. I am trying to imagine cases where they would be used by ether a player or a GM, and I am having very limited success.
The problem is that in almost every case I can think of, it is worse for the wizard using it, than it is for any enemy! Sure you are somewhat nobbling enemy spellcasters, but you are also equally nobbling yourself and your own side just as much!

First a question about "Baseline Subtraction".
Astral Interference is area of effect and effects "All Spellcasting tests made inside the area, or that target someone in the area". Baseline Subtraction targets specific individuals, and "If successful, the penalties caused by Astral Interference are eliminated." Now I am sure that "Baseline Subtraction" eliminates the penalties when the spell recipient attempts to cast spells, but does it also eliminate the penalties on hostil spells cast at the baseline subtraction recipient? Which is to say, Astral Interference comes with a blessing and a curse. The blessing is that hostil spells cast at me and mine have to overcome the astral interference. The curse is that all spells I cast also have to overcome the astral interference. It seems to me that baseline subtraction overcomes the curse, but does it also overcome the blessing?

In which case, Can people suggest to me good ways to use this Talent and/or spell that is not screwing yourself over just as much or as little as you screw over the enemy?
Last edited by ChrisDDickey on Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Undying

Postby The Undying » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:19 pm

Last edited by The Undying on Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Undying

Postby The Undying » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:26 am

For the record, I am not big on the 'strict' reading of the spell. It just doesn't make sense for me.

Thematically, Baseline Subtraction allows those affected by the spell to 'see through the noise' caused by Astral Interference (AI). As a result, it would make sense that THEIR Spellcasting tests would no longer affected, whether casting within the AI AoE or casting from outside the AI AoE but into it. I can't make the thematic leap as to why others could suddenly see THEM within the AI AoE - if they're suddenly easy to see through the noise for people outside the AI AoE, then it doesn't make sense for those INSIDE the AI AoE to still be hindered.

So, my personal recommendation, would be to errata the Baseline Subtraction spell. Ditch the last sentence "If successful, the penalties caused by Astral Interference are eliminated" and replace it with "If successful, targets no longer receive penalties caused by Astral Interference when they perform Spellcasting tests." There may be some better words, but that makes it very clear - the targets of Baseline Subtraction no longer receive penalties, but all others (inside shooting inside/out, outside shooting in) still have all penalties.

Dougansf

Postby Dougansf » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:59 am

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:22 am

That's the way it should work.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:10 pm

Yes. I like to think of Astral Interference as static that makes it more difficult to draw the needed astral arc of power. Baseline Subtraction allows individuals to adapt to the current static and see past it.

Also, I think Baseline Subtraction, as an active magical effect on specific targets with a duration longer than 1 round, can be used _before_ you encounter (or generate) Astral Interference. If you have one round to prepare while the Archer Aims his ambush shot, use that first - you avoid the penalty to cast the spell in the first place.

(Optional) Astrally sense your additional targets -> Cast Baseline Subtraction on targets within 10 yards -> Spring ambush and get into optimal position (within Rank x 10 yards of enemy spellcasters) and trigger Astral Interference Talent during the Surprise round (SPEND KARMA). -> Watch opponent's spells fizzle. :D

I also like that we now have this Astral Interference concept to play with as Curse effects, or Environmental hazards/mysteries. Maybe some Kaer your players are exploring has a set AI penalty in certain areas until you figure out what when wrong and repair the malfunctioning light-crystal-network, etc.

The Undying

Postby The Undying » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:25 pm

Time to plan is ALWAYS a good thing.

Mechanically, I don't see a problem with Baseline Subtraction (BS) first, followed by Astral Interference (AI). Thematically, my preference would be the opposite. Allowing BS->AI implies that all AI is exactly the same - which is okay, maybe it is! However, that opens up some larger (and interesting) game opportunities. I'm thinking in line with your kaer stuff: maybe the kaer designers put down a mass-area AI with some blood magic, and all the 'approved' magicians (I like to go dark with me ED settings) have magical items provide BS (active or passive). Opens up a design space for some interesting thread items. Taking it less dark, maybe there were beacons placed throughout the kaer that provided passive BS for all the living/business area, but once the kaer died, there was no one to renew them, so the AI is just like a miasma on the area.

My thematic preference, though, would be the each AI is unique, scattering astral energies in the area in ways that make it difficult to deal with. Since you can't anticipate how the AI would manifest, you'd need to cast BS -after- the AI.

Really, I don't think EITHER is wrong, nor either 'more right' - I think it's a flavor decision by the table/gm. HOWEVER, if you're going to change the mechanics to fit a different theme (i.e., follow something like my thematic concept), make the players aware at the appropriate time. For magicians, that's probably Journeyman when they can get access to AI. For Wizards, if they happen to get BS before AI (book not handy), that'd be the Circle to clarify. It's easy enough to slip that information in as part of the instruction for that advancement.

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:27 am

Previous Discussion Link

Return to “For Players”