Disciplines: Swordsmaster

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Telarus_KSC
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Disciplines: Swordsmaster

Postby Telarus_KSC » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:51 pm

To follow-up on the excellent Archer post, I wanted to start a thread for Swordsmasters. Some of the concept material presented will also be applicable for other adepts, like Warriors, etc.

Dimicator / Roland Warzecha - Roland has mixed martial arts training (an Escrima background), and then went on to study classic european Sword & Buckler fencing manuals. He's taught me more about sword and buckler than any other person, much of which is applicable to other sword techniques. Here are some of the better videos to get started:

Sword & Viking Round Shield: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkhpqAGdZPc
Sword & Buckler Tactics 1: Entering with a blow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd0D4u4Aeks
Sword & Buckler Tactics 2: Moving in True Time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0LpsnO0E4U

I'll probably follow up with some of the later sword-styles, where blocking & riposting becomes one fluid motion, such as the classic Spanish/Italian "fencing".
Last edited by Telarus_KSC on Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flowswithdrek

Re: Disciplines: Swordsmaster

Postby Flowswithdrek » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:10 pm

Interesting, thanks for posting. I couldn't help notice the picture of Toshitsugu Takamatsu in the background, Roland must have studied ninjutsu as well?

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:15 pm

He shares a Dojo with a german Ninjutsu group, so they may cross-train. :)

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:48 pm

perhaps you are interested in these topics as well:

Spear vs Sword&Buckler:

Which historical weapons require the least skill to use?

Just a side note: I really hate when all player choose sword as a weapon for their combatant type character simply because the sword rules over any other type arm.

Return to “For Players”