Disciplines: Archer

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Telarus_KSC
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Disciplines: Archer

Postby Telarus_KSC » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:40 am

I found a GREAT video for anyone wanting to or thinking about playing an Archer. This was actually my first Discipline played in Earthdawn, and I have fond memories of Telarus the Elven Archer ;) I wish I had this type of concept material back then, wow, that would have changed my playstyle.

A Master Archer demos his craft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9 ... e=youtu.be

(Seriously, that guy has like Rank 10 Impressive Display at least. :D )
Last edited by Telarus_KSC on Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard

Re: Disciplines: Archer

Postby Richard » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:29 am

awesome! thanks for sharing.

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:17 pm

Okay, that was pretty incredible.

Anunnaki

Postby Anunnaki » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:59 pm

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:20 pm

I have seen similar critiques pop up. I think the critiques of the narration are valid ("forgotten" meaning "Europe forgot them", etc). I also think, yes, he edited the best shots together.
[Edit: Here is another good critique: https://www.facebook.com/notes/anna-mal ... 9003622585 ]

This one does callout that this style of archery is geared for "light/skirmish" combat (and picks apart the narration too). Nothing says you can't carry more than one type of bow, tho, the Mongols did that a lot.]

But, (and this is as anecdotal as the blog post response, so ymmv) my room-mate is a Penchak Silat instructor who also has bow-fished for well over 30 years (and is some-what of a stone/bronze/iron age amateur anthropologist). Bow-fishing requires the 2-eye aiming technique, as you are shooting moving targets with water-surface distortion. He was QUITE impressed with the video, and said it changed how he pictured combat in those early ages.

I guess we'll have to wait for more from Lars to see how his techniques hold up.
Last edited by Telarus_KSC on Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:53 pm

Either way, looking for a cinematic, dramatic archery style to inspire a gaming character, it is pretty neat.

Lazerus3511

Postby Lazerus3511 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:50 pm

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing!

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:49 pm

New post of Youtube by Lars acknowledging that the brevity of his previous video meant they had to "tell simple stories" about things, which led to a bunch of confusion. I like the guy, he didn't take any of the criticisms personally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iLTA43MBuA

MaxLiao

Postby MaxLiao » Tue May 05, 2015 8:00 pm

For just a second let's say it doesn't matter if what he did isn't 100% legit in the real world. (Personally, I couldn't care less either way.) When you put it in the context of an Archer Adept using magical Talents I think it's a pretty good view of what one could do as a Disciplined Adept. Now, if he could just make a video of Wind Bow. ;)
• •
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:33 pm

http://www.ted.com/talks/dong_woo_jang_ ... bow_making

Dong Woo Jang turns an unusual stick of bamboo into an archer’s bow, an exploration of his cultural heritage and a metaphor for his perfect world.
Why you should listen
His parents wouldn’t let him play video games, so Dong Woo Jang had to invent other ways to entertain himself in and around his Seoul apartment. First, he studied spider anatomy and hunting skills for three years, creating their habitat in his room. Next, Dong headed outside, where he picked up fallen tree branches and turned them into archery bows.

Later, while researching the age-old craft, he discovered that his optimal design was strikingly similar to that of his ancestors. Though he concedes that, during his process of “fixing, breaking, redesigning, mending, bending, and amending” bows, he accidently set his building on fire. The 15-year-old says that working with wood -- and traveling back and forth in time -- makes him feel free.

Return to “For Players”