Question on Magic Defense

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ottdmk
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Question on Magic Defense

Postby ottdmk » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:56 pm

Quick question, but I can't find it answered anywhere definitively: Can an Adept voluntarily lower their Magic Defense to facilitate having a spell cast on them by a friendly spellcaster?

Kasbak

Re: Question on Magic Defense

Postby Kasbak » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:01 pm

I would have to dig to find the official quote, but yes, IIRC, they can voluntarily lower their defense. However they must lower it for all incoming effects for one round; they can't select what effect they want to lower it for. For example, if you lower your defense so that your friendly Wizard can cast Combat Fury on you, but an enemy Elementalist also casts Stick Together on you in the same round, the latter would be going against the lowered defense as well.

Panda

Postby Panda » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:14 pm

It depends on the edition. Prior to 4E, yes. In 4E, no.
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

ottdmk

Postby ottdmk » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:45 am

Thanks for the replies; good to know. Now, if I can just convince my group to play some 4E when it's fully released... :-D

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:55 pm

To followup on Panda's response, I think it's a good thing this mechanic was removed for 4E. Specifically because now all spells can get bonus effects for additional Successes on the spellcasting roll. That's a great hook for your group :)

etherial

Postby etherial » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:31 pm

ottdmk

Postby ottdmk » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:55 am

Return to “For Players”