Inspiration

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
etherial
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Inspiration

Postby etherial » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:33 pm

I recently saw City of Ember, which is a great Inspiration for a plot taking place inside a Kaer. The city has sat, slowly falling apart and losing any connection with the outside world, for 200 years. Two children, having just been assigned the jobs they'll have for the rest of their lives, discover that the city is irrevocably falling apart and only an ancient map left by The Builders will allow anyone to survive. It's got corrupt politicians hoarding food, people who've long given up hope of ever escaping, lost lore, giant mutated monsters, complex puzzles, and a beautiful sunrise once our heroes have reached the surface.

Any other Earthdawn Inspirations come at you from unexpected places?

Flowswithdrek

Re: Inspiration

Postby Flowswithdrek » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:04 pm

Its funny how things are so obvious once someone has pointed them out. I've seen that movie several times and I never once thought 'hey, that's a kaer', but it so is. Now I think about it has a lot of similarities to the Earthdawn adventure Ardanyan's Revenge.

EDChronicler

Postby EDChronicler » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:35 am

lol, let me offer a book to read: Dark Universe : Daniel F. Galouye

I won't offer any spoilers, but makes for interested kaer based read.

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:57 pm

Earlier this year, my fiancee and I took a weekend road trip for her birthday. We picked a random direction and just started driving. We ended up in Louisville, and before we left we took a tour of the megacaverns there. There isn't anywhere else I've seen that closer resembles a kaer. It was also planned for use as a fallout shelter during the Cuban Missile Crisis, and they had displays set up to show what it would have been like to live there during that time. I highly recommend it to anyone who might have the opportunity to go.

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:27 pm

Do you have any photos from there? :)
Duvvelsheyss

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:57 pm

I did take some, but unfortunately I only had my phone available, and it simply does not capture enough light to take a decent photo underground. The primary ones found in a Google search show their zip line area and their Christmas lights displays. However, I did find a few good ones to link;

http://www.planetware.com/photos-large/ ... cavern.jpg - From their display of the fallout shelter setup
http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/5548fe9 ... gacave.jpg - A good one to see the scale of the cavern
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4128/5007 ... 8e5d_z.jpg - Another for scale, comparing with trucks
http://cdn.mntm.me/0c/d6/9f/mineral_sta ... ba0b_c.jpg - Shows some of the interesting water patterns along the walls

Return to “For Players”