Earthdawn 4th @ Gary Con!

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Tanthalas
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Earthdawn 4th @ Gary Con!

Postby Tanthalas » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:47 pm

Good evening, everyone! I just wanted to make sure all Chicagoland forum user saw the blog post: .

Tickets are already going quick, but if you want a hands-on chance to play with a rough cut of 4th Edition, here is your chance!

The main log-in site for the convention is the straightforward: http://www.garycon.com
I'm one of the Legends of Barsaive guys. Questions? Comments? Concerns? Bawdy Jokes? PM me!

Slimcreeper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Earthdawn 4th @ Gary Con!

Postby Slimcreeper » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:25 pm

Arrg! Do this stuff in Atlanta!

Tanthalas

Postby Tanthalas » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:35 pm

Haha, tell me a good Convention and maybe I can get there with new stuff next year! ;)
I'm one of the Legends of Barsaive guys. Questions? Comments? Concerns? Bawdy Jokes? PM me!

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:08 am

Um, DragonCon?

Tanthalas

Postby Tanthalas » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:36 am

D'oh! Somehow I didn't know that was in Atlanta. Its definitely a con I've been meaning to check out. Alas, my day job doesn't allow me to take off for every convention. Sorry I'm not in your area, Slim! :)

Tanthalas

Postby Tanthalas » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:08 pm

Gary Con begins tomorrow and we still have a few slots available at our tables! If anyone is debating whether or not to come out, I say 'go for it!' It is a very relaxed atmosphere and playing games is free! (with the purchase of a Badge)

Hopefully I will see some of you there!

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:15 pm

I'd love a post-con report. :)

LouProsperi

Postby LouProsperi » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:14 pm

Hello,

I wish I could go, but the travel from Massachusetts makes it a little difficult.

Hope the games go well!

Earthdawn Forever Baby!

Take Care,

Lou Prosperi

Tanthalas

Postby Tanthalas » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:36 pm

Thanks Lou!

The short story is that the games went well and people were excited to play. I will see what I can do about being more specific before the week is out!

Tanthalas

Postby Tanthalas » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:10 pm

I've been cleared to give my full report, so sit down children and let me tell you a little story about a game called Earthdawn 4th Edition.

We made three related adventures to run for conventions. Each is a self-contained plot with some inter-connectivity. We made six 5th circle adepts: Dwarf Weaponsmith, Dwarf Troubadour, Troll Warrior, Obsidiman Elementalist, Elf Beastmaster, and Windling Archer. Each has fully fleshed out personalities and stats that line up with the (still being edited) 4th Edition rules. If there is interest, I can look into posting these characters for people to look over.

For those of you that don't know, Gary Con is named after Gary Gygax and for the most part hosts old school D&D. I knew it was going to be a bit of a risk to run Earthdawn at this venue, but it was convenient for me and I wanted to sink my teeth into the new rules before the bigger cons in the summer. So a friend (forum handle: MrF) and I set off to each run three Earthdawn adventures! In the end, our player base ended up with little knowledge of Earthdawn. Two were roughly familiar with 1st edition, but the rest were complete newbies. So this is where most of the feedback comes from.

Without further ado, here are the impressions we were given:
- Players feel powerful. To me they are more powerful than they were in 3rd, this is definitely a good thing.
- The Elementalist spells, while complicated and a bit intimidating, are a ton of fun and feel very rewarding once they are figured out (two out of two Elementalists said this.) For more information on this, check out Josh's recent posts on the developer's blog!
- The Windling is really weak (we gave the Windling Archer a thread bow that allowed him to spend karma on damage rolls and still got this feedback). It was generally agreed that his weakness was okay because he was very fun to play outside of combat and very hard to kill while in a fight. I believe that, had MrF not thought to add this magic bow, the Windling players might have been more annoyed. I'm not sure if we think this is an issue, but it does make the Windling Archer build far from optimal.
- The new edition has, at this point, done away with the 'Jump Up' option that was in 3rd edition. The players really enjoyed knocking down my big bad guys and forcing me to the ground unable to stand back up as they wailed on me. But they didn't like wasting a whole turn to stand. There were a lot of fights that ended up with people rolling around on the floor. I suppose this works as long as the rules for fighting while prone are made clear.
- There was also a question about prone people flying, would they have to stand up before lift off? My gut reaction was that they should probably still have to stand to fly, though the fight was going so far against the PCs when this came up that I let them get away with flying from a prone position anyway.

From a GM's perspective, I had a lot of fun. Everyone feels stronger in this edition than they did before. The ability to forge weapons allowed us to come up with some pretty crazy magical properties on thread items. All in all, it was good to be at the helm of new Earthdawn content. If any one has more specific questions I can do what I can to field them.

Remember, I have nothing to do with the actual design of 4th edition. I am but a humble demo runner. Though I did have a hand in designing the adventures and the characters.

Thanks for reading!

Return to “For Players”