SR Module - Bottled Demon

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bigity
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

SR Module - Bottled Demon

Postby bigity » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:42 pm

Does the power foci/artifact in Bottled Demon have a corresponding item in ED?

Also, did the great dragon Arlesh from the same module exist in any ED sources?

zayven

Re: SR Module - Bottled Demon

Postby zayven » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:54 am

After looking at the module, the item doesn't sound familiar. I'd have to pour through a lot of ED material to be sure, though. It certainly sounds like some kind of Horror-tainted artifact, but it might also be a blood magic artifact. The unpublished Dragons sourcebook (the one FASA released as a free pdf following the cancellation of ED back in '99, not the LRG reprint) doesn't provide the Names of any feathered serpents, but it does say that they are the only dragons to regularly practice blood magic. The Dragons of the Sixth World sourcebook for SR says that Arleesh has a reputation for hunting down old artifacts and destroying them. It's possible that Arleesh knows about and fears these artifacts because she had a hand in their creation through some blood magic ritual dating back to the ED era (the Fourth World, I think). That's a bit of a convoluted explanation, though. It might just be easier to assume that the Bottle Demon idol, along with all the other stuff she's after, is a Horror artifact.

There's no mention of Arleesh that I know of in any ED sourcebook. In fact, I don't know that any feathered serpents are mentioned by Name in ED. The LRG version of the Dragons sourcebook might include them, but I don't have that one. You can generally find most of the ED dragons in SR, but due to the limited setting of ED (which roughly corresponds to eastern Ukraine, southern Russia, and western Kazakhstan), there are a lot of SR dragons that just don't show up. Feathered serpents are supposed to be native to the Americas, so it would make sense that you don't see much of them in ED.

Anunnaki

Postby Anunnaki » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:25 am

ArcadianRefugee

Postby ArcadianRefugee » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:05 pm

I've been wanting to know more about the bottle since GenCon 2009's Shadowrun tourney "Idol Threats" (Twenty years ago it gained the attention of two dragons. Now it wants yours....). Speculation is that the being "in" the bottle was/is an imp (SR's Threats 2, p. 25 / SR's Running Wild, p. 180).

:K

Rogan Rubyeye

Postby Rogan Rubyeye » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:42 am

Heh, one of my all time favourite Shadowrun scenarios. Remember running it when it first came out and freaking out the mage who decided he'd assense the hot chick in the limo! :o Heh. Reran it again recently for a new group of players with more background involvement about it, now that I know a lot more about the Horrors. Had it containing a Wraith and encased within a very ancient wooden relic box covered with Rongo-Rongo script (yeah, had recently written a bit about Rapa Nui for 3rd Ed SoA, so thought I'd tie it in to my own campaign). Best fun ever when the shaman decided (against the warning yips of his Raccoon totem) to unleash the promised power of a Force 20 foci (that he didn't have to bond with Karma) in order to defeat the hitman & co to save his team. The final words he heard echoing in his head before big explosions and black out were "Thou art marked! [Evil chuckle]" Player just went quiet, looked at me saying "You. Utter. B*****D!" GM Note: His Earthdawn character several years ago had encounterd the Wraith and also released it wreck havoc on unsuspecting villagers of Barsaive! :evil:
"I spy, with my Targeting Eye..."

Return to “For Players”