New Player

Discussion on the Demonworld rules. Tips and tactics are welcome!
Ken
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

New Player

Postby Ken » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:25 pm

Hello,
I'd heard of demonworld years ago but never got into it. I've been following the efforts to bring it back and just saw that its now available in the states. I'm about to take the plunge but have a few questions first.

Are there any Battle Reports, play examples, or turn walk throughs around? I'd like to get a better feel for the game before jumping in.

What size is an average game?

Any thoughts on a recomended starting force? I'm probably go to collect two and I'm initially thinking Orcs and Empire. I'd like to start small so I can get a handle on the rules and eventually be able to demo to other players.

Are there any maps available to look at or purchase? I have nothing even close to a hex map at home right now.

Are there any plans on releasing "starter boxes" for the factions? If so any ideas when?

I think that should do it for now. Thanks in advance.
Ken

jets
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: New Player

Postby jets » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:32 pm

Hey Ken
I don't know any other english site about demornworld. If you understand german, there is www.demonweb.de and if you prefer french you can go to http://demonworld.free.fr/. On bove pages you habe an activ forum and a nice gallery with pictures.

An average game is between 1000 and 2000 points and the playing time goes from 2h hours to 5h, depending on the goals you set up. Smaller games do not realy make sense. Bigger games are always possible.

For the races I try to give you a short summary.

Impire: They look like in medieval Europe. You can play them offensice and defensive, you can play huge armies or smaller elit units. So perfect if you like to play different styles. You can use dwarve units in your army.

Orcs: They are normaly played offensiv. Normaly bigger units. Realy nice to play. You can use Goblins in your amry.

The Icelords of Isthak: An Isthak army contains beastmans, which are quite stupit, but have a nice punch, humans, icewitches, demons and/or undeads. You have a vide range of different units. Isthak is not so easy to play.

Elves: Small elit units, which are realy strong archers. They have a higher Initiativ, so they will hit normaly first.

Dwarves: I can't say alot about them. Normaly heavy armed and slow. Defensive armies. Depending which Kingdom you play, you can use empier units.

The Warlords of Thain: They look like Scots. Thain has different clans. Depending which clan you play, you are strong, heavy, good archers, etc. You can play big monsters which are quite strong. A slow army, which is also realy difficult to play.

Goblins: Normaly big units. The units aren't realy strong. But they've got there punch from the huge Insects. Offensice armies. You can use Orcs in your army.

Dark elves: Like the elves they have a higher initiativ then normaly. Also small elit units. They look like samurais. They are good in almost every aspect of the game so you can play them in different styles.

I hope I could help you.

Patrick

Arhnayel

Postby Arhnayel » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:42 am

The Blessing of Stars' eternal
Although the Knight remains mortal.

Ken

Postby Ken » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:40 am

Thanks. That has helped. I'm currently waiting on PayPal to fix a problem then I'll eagerly be reading the Orc book.

I'd still really like to find a battle report to read, so I can get a better feel for the game. If any one knows of one or wants to write one :D I'd be forever greatful.

jets

Postby jets » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:01 am

Battle reports. I will try to do one the next time I play... but this will not be in the next days since I have exams in the first weeks of the next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkVuQ-gz ... r_embedded

The link above is a battle report movie from a german. Therefore the coments are in german, but at least you will see to movements of the units a little bit. It's a 2300 point battle which is already quit big.

Corinthian

Postby Corinthian » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:05 pm

You can lease the peace of mind
You bought a mask, I put it on
You never thought to ask me If I wear it when you're gone

-- Sisters Of Mercy

Ken

Postby Ken » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:40 am

Corinthian

Postby Corinthian » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:07 am

I watched the vids, very interesting (even without understanding the lingo), thanks again.

You can lease the peace of mind
You bought a mask, I put it on
You never thought to ask me If I wear it when you're gone

-- Sisters Of Mercy

Wendigo

Postby Wendigo » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:30 am

If you can try to track down one of the old 2nd Edition (deluxe?) Starer Boxes. They had the rulebook, 2 Tin units (1 Empire Berserkers and 1 Orc Guard), 2 copies of a map and a lot of cut-out counters for creating an empire and an orc force. This should be a cheap way for you to delve into those two armies and decide, which units you will buy from Red brick LLC.

Anunnaki

Postby Anunnaki » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:24 am

Thanks Wendigo.

We will have print versions of the 2nd Edition core rulebook and army books at Gen Con, plus a selection of DW miniatures.

Kind regards, James

Return to “Rules”