4th ed spells now take LP to learn?

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Michael

4th ed spells now take LP to learn?

Post by Michael » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:59 pm

That seems sort of harsh. Does anyone know when this has been changed? I just thinking through if I want to make changes to that.

thanks

Bonhumm

Re: 4th ed spells now take LP to learn?

Post by Bonhumm » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:51 pm

Michael wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:59 pm
That seems sort of harsh. Does anyone know when this has been changed? I just thinking through if I want to make changes to that.
This is new from 4th edition.

I'm guessing it was used to balances up the 'upgrades' that mages got compared to previous editions:
  • Two spell matrices that levels up for free.
  • Reductions on the number of required threads.
  • Increase in strength and versatility of spells due to the new extra-successes and extra-threads mechanics.
I would think they did a lot of tests to see if it balanced right before releasing that rule but as you said, still a bit harsh.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:55 pm

This was changed with the release of fourth edition.

It might seem harsh, but think of it this way: each spell provides a new tool or ability in the magician's arsenal, increasing their flexibility. Providing those tools for free -- when just about everything else costs Legend Points -- can be unbalancing.

It's made up for a little bit with the two free spell matrices that all magicians get at First Circle.

(Another way to look at it: Spells as a unique kind of knack.)
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Line Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Malinous

Post by Malinous » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:39 am

I think the offset from free matrices is under-sold.

Every free matrix talent is essentially a free spell of that talent rank, if I recall spell costs correctly? I.e., a spell costs the same as that rank of talent, so if you pay 600 LP for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd circle spell but get the R3 matrix for free you broke even. And you can only put one of those spells at a time in the matrix anyways.

So you're actually really getting 1 spell per level for the normal cost from previous editions.

And as Metaxes says, every spell is really almost as good as a talent. 1 spell per circle is definitely more character flexibility as a talent. Now spells become a *bit* more like option talents. Your choices helps define your character, rather than just define what the npcs you encountered knew.

It also can make life easier for new players -- I will say in D&D the need to learn the entire list of spells is a big deterrent for new players playing casters in D&D.

There are also fewer spells in 4th ed. That makes a difference.

harper

Post by harper » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:34 am

Thanks for the clarification!