Kaer Emergence campaign

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
A_Truth_Believer

Kaer Emergence campaign

Post by A_Truth_Believer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:51 am

Greetings!

I haven't ran an ED campaign or played since 2014 when I first dabbled with 3rd Ed. I recently got my hands on 4th Ed and play to use that as the core system, etc. Have any of you ever done a game where it began in the Kaer with the players experience the life in the Kaer then eventually emerging into Barsaive and beyond..? I have a brand new group that have never done the Earthdawn thing... :) Just want to hear some general thoughts.

Thanks!

Belenus

Re: Kaer Emergence campaign

Post by Belenus » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:47 am

Greetings!

There's even an half officle adventure book for it ;)
Havn't played it myself yet, but what I hear, it should be the best buyable adventure :D

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/79 ... rd-Edition

Far Scholar

Post by Far Scholar » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:19 pm

Hi there.

I am running a campaign where the Ivory Codex is the main centerpiece, drastically changed to fit my needs. My group is a mismatch of experienced roleplayers, experienced earthdawners back from 1st and a newcomer to roleplay entirely. I have just finished Ardanyans Revenge with my own twists and am very happy about the adventure as a whole. I think it is a very good introduction to Earthdawn.
A few things I found important to focus on:
- Kaer life in general. Important characters in every part of the kaer. The mundane daily and boring life in the kaer.
- Emphasis on the fact that the PC´s never has experienced the outside before.
- I hid the fact that some of the passions went mad.
- Have Leldrin sketched out - how you want to play him and know how you can appease the PC´s so they don´t suspect him, if thats the way you want to go.
- When the characters get outside for the first time. Consider how you want it done and when you want the ambush to happen.
- I found the well described town of Ardanyan a bit difficult to use as a whole, because the PC´s let one from the ambushing party survive. Maybe think of a way the characters can enter town without risk. Maybe it is fine they are wanted from the start.

Hope it helps,
Jan

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:02 pm

My PbP GM is doing a great job with this:

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16695

Tattered Rags

Post by Tattered Rags » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:57 pm

I would be remiss if I didn't plug my campaign. We just played last Friday and they FINALLY, after 11 sessions, left the kaer. Will post updated adventure summaries and postmortem when I get time. Technically they haven't fully left, but behind them is a locked door and ahead are a bunch of traps. This is a homebrew adventure.

Summaries except latest session:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=739

Postmortem of said adventures from GM perspective:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1083
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem