Fourth Edition Errata, Clarifications, and FAQs

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Mataxes
Re: Fourth Edition Errata, Clarifications, and FAQs

Post by Mataxes » Sun May 05, 2019 4:34 pm

Huh. That's odd.

They should be the same. The first one ("ED4-PF-PDF_10_March") is the filename format we used on the pre-release builds. I just checked, and that's the one from March 2015 -- the last one before we released the book. The other is the filename format we use for the actual "release" PDFs.

Without going through and comparing every page exactly I can't be sure, but I don't think there's any difference between them.

(I don't manage the DriveThru shop, so I don't know how that happened. I'll pass it along, though.)
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Jaracove

Post by Jaracove » Sun May 05, 2019 6:03 pm

Mataxes wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:34 pm
Huh. That's odd.

They should be the same. The first one ("ED4-PF-PDF_10_March") is the filename format we used on the pre-release builds. I just checked, and that's the one from March 2015 -- the last one before we released the book. The other is the filename format we use for the actual "release" PDFs.

Without going through and comparing every page exactly I can't be sure, but I don't think there's any difference between them.

(I don't manage the DriveThru shop, so I don't know how that happened. I'll pass it along, though.)
Yup. Drivethru does this quite often and it drives buyers batty.

Thanks for the reply

Anunnaki

Post by Anunnaki » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:17 pm

New question which might merit clarification.

Q: After modifiers, what is the minimum Difficulty Number for Action Tests?

In ED1, it was 2. In ED4, can't find a reference for this. This affects situations where modifiers affect a Defense Rating to very low values (even negative values).

Belenus

Post by Belenus » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:30 pm

Still 2:
Players Guide p. 257 wrote:Dull-witted creatures and most inanimate non-magical objects have a Mystic Defense of 2.
Players Guide p. 63 wrote:Another reference could be the Characteristics Table: Even with a Attribute value of 1, your Defense Rating is 2.

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:57 pm

Maybe not an Errata as much as a clarification but I think it would be real good that the fact that the use of the Physician skill REQUIRES the use of a Physician kit was stated in the description of the skill itself and not just in the description of the kit.

Lars Gottlieb

Post by Lars Gottlieb » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:09 am

Belenus wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:30 pm
Still 2:
Players Guide p. 257 wrote:Dull-witted creatures and most inanimate non-magical objects have a Mystic Defense of 2.
Players Guide p. 63 wrote:Another reference could be the Characteristics Table: Even with a Attribute value of 1, your Defense Rating is 2.
Those don't actually say that either minimum defense values, nor minimum test difficulty are 2.
Sure they can be interpreted to hint at something like that, but I'd really like a clean rule, nor hints and interpretations.

However, if this is all we have in 4ed, then that's all we have; thank you.

Belenus

Post by Belenus » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:38 am

It can also be derived of this rule:
p. 33 of the players guide wrote:Regardless of modifiers, the minimum result on any test is 1.
And of course the Rule of One.
But yes, you're right: a clean Rule doesn't exist and a negative Defense could still be interesting for the success levels.

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:13 pm

A while ago there was a discussion thread that concluded that damage replacement tests were not subject to the "each talent can only be used once per round" rule. There was discussion that maybe that rule should be errata-ed to only apply to simple talents and not free talents.
Discussion is in this thread.
http://fasagamesdev.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8&start=10
But nothing was ever added to the errata.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:59 pm

A couple of errata-related announcements.

First, the Gamemaster's Guide has had as much of the known errata incorporated as possible and a new PDF generated. It should be available for download from our web shop and DriveThruRPG.

Second, an update of the Player's Guide is in progress. This one is a bit more extensive as far as errata goes -- we're adding in Enchanting Difficulties for blood charms and healing aids since those are the most likely candidates for players to make with Alchemy. We're also adding specific page references to the GM Guide where appropriate -- it wasn't in place in the first printing because the GM Guide wasn't laid out when it went to press. The PDF will be updated at the relevant locations when it's done.

The Earthdawn Companion will, likewise, have errata incorporated and the PDF updated.

The errata document has been updated with notes to reflect which changes are included in the "second printing" of the book.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:02 pm

ChrisDDickey wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:13 pm
A while ago there was a discussion thread that concluded that damage replacement tests were not subject to the "each talent can only be used once per round" rule. There was discussion that maybe that rule should be errata-ed to only apply to simple talents and not free talents.
Discussion is in this thread.
http://fasagamesdev.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8&start=10
But nothing was ever added to the errata.
This has been noted in the errata document, and will be included in the "second printing" update of the Player's Guide. The basic gist of the change is: Unless otherwise noted, Simple Actions can usually only be attempted once per round, Free Actions are not subject to this limitation.