Customizing success level consequences?

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Lursi
Customizing success level consequences?

Post by Lursi » Sun May 12, 2019 8:28 am

Hi Folks,

I wondered whether it would make the game better if certain items would change the results of success levels.

Flute of clarity
Thread one
Bonus of third extra success on social talents is doubled
Thread two
Social Resistance + 1
Thread three
Bonus of second extra success on social talents is doubled
... so on and so forth

Similarly, the damage bonus of certain weapons could be enhanced (+1 per successlevel for a spear) or decreased (-1 per for a battle axe whose base damage is high but with less variance) which would also map out the correlation of damage with fighter skill a bit.

One could also apply the armor penalty as a modifier on extra damage per success level.
(You became so slow that you dont win too much from a superior position in the fight)

Lastly you could have spells/weapons that have a non-linear damage bonus (+1/+2/+4/+6/+10/+16)

Maybe too much complication for conventional items but certainly a nice degree of freedom for legendary items whose power should scale with the wielders skill.

You could also trigger item effects with respective success levels.
Of all things I lost, sanity I held dearest.

Slimcreeper

Re: Customizing success level consequences?

Post by Slimcreeper » Sun May 12, 2019 11:24 am

1879 firearms have staging. Some do +4 per extra success. Not that I recommend anything like that for Earthdawn …

For the other stuff, sounds like it would fit within the special maneuver mechanics. Just have to e ready to modify the effects based on how they play in game.

Lursi

Post by Lursi » Sun May 12, 2019 12:35 pm

Well a constant +2 bonus to damage per successlevel against the PD of the target is also in the Earthdawn rules as written.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Sun May 12, 2019 12:46 pm

Yeah, but in 1879 some firearms benefit greatly from more accurate shooting because the individual weapon has a higher staging (bonus per success). It works in 1879 because guns are scary, especially repeating firearms. It might work for a thread item in Earthdawn, is what I’m saying.

I like this idea, but I personally would introduce it one item a time. And I would have the bonus tied to a particular type of test. Like your flute of clarity benefits Interaction tests or even more specifically Ask a Favor tests or something.

I personally have initiative penalties affect things like Swimming, sneaking and climbing. Don’t know if I’d apply it to attacks unless it was poorly made or improvised armor.

Lursi

Post by Lursi » Sun May 12, 2019 3:34 pm

Yeah, I apply armor penalties to avery talent that requires freedom of movement and dont allow these penalties to be discarded too easily.

I would like to give the heroes a reason to gear up differently for different missions.