Remove Target (Elemental Fireball)

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
True Neutral
Remove Target (Elemental Fireball)

Post by True Neutral » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:15 pm

Is the Elementalist Fireball spell the only one that lets you remove targets for an extra thread? I mean it makes perfect sense, you spend extra time and add a control element that bends it around your buddies, I love it, but why don't more spells have this? And in particular, why doesn't the Illusionist version have it??? You'd think if anyone would have that option it would be Illusionists.

RazanMG

Re: Remove Target (Elemental Fireball)

Post by RazanMG » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:16 am

Thats simple :) Illusionists friends will know (he will tell them) that its just illusion and they disbelief.

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:40 am

At a minimum 4 Elementalist spells (Uneven Ground, Fireball, Thunderclap, and Whirlwind), 2 Nethermancer (Chilling Circle, Foul Vapors), and 1 Wizard spells (Jugglers Touch) have the option to remove targets via an extra thread.

True Neutral

Post by True Neutral » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:54 pm

ChrisDDickey wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:40 am
At a minimum 4 Elementalist spells (Uneven Ground, Fireball, Thunderclap, and Whirlwind), 2 Nethermancer (Chilling Circle, Foul Vapors), and 1 Wizard spells (Jugglers Touch) have the option to remove targets via an extra thread.
Good point. Let's see how many Illusionist spells have that ability - Ah yes, zero. The one thing that should be easier for an Illusionist to do than any other spellcaster, and they can't. Even on a spell that was copied from a spellcaster that has that ability to provide immunity from the spell's effect. If it is not a typo or just forgotten (like they added it afterwards to Fireball and didn't update the copied illusionary version), I have to think that the goal is specifically to nerf Illusionists out of spite.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:03 pm

Ah yes, those spiteful, spiteful Earthdawn devs.

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:09 am

As was pointed out, Friends of the illusionist probably know enough to simply disbelieve any apparent fireballs that he casts, and same with the Stench spell. Having the ability to remove friendly targets from the Fog of Jeer, Chosen Path, Suffocation and True Missile spells would be of more value.

Sharkforce

Post by Sharkforce » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:09 am

ChrisDDickey wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:09 am
As was pointed out, Friends of the illusionist probably know enough to simply disbelieve any apparent fireballs that he casts, and same with the Stench spell. Having the ability to remove friendly targets from the Fog of Jeer, Chosen Path, Suffocation and True Missile spells would be of more value.
the exception being for humans that use versatility to cast a real fireball. but then, i suppose that's a deliberate attempt to keep versatility in check.

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:55 pm

That does not really add up. Versatility does not allow spells to be cast with extra threads, so what spells have extra threads don't matter at all to the versatility caster, since he can't use them.

Also, I can't really imagine any caster ever using versatility to put both Fireball and Phantom Fireball into (two separate) spell matrixes at the same time. Phantom Fireball only does +1 damage over the Elementalist version, so I don't see any real advantage of having both available to you. Pick the one you want and stick with it. Tell your friends which one you have loaded.

I mean I guess I can imagination a scenario where an human elementalist wants to use versatility to cast a few phantom fireballs into a melee, then as soon as he hears an opponent yell out that they are illusions that everybody ought to disbelieve, he could cast a real fireball that has his friends removed as targets, catching all of his enemies disbelieving, but while that would make a great tale if you actually managed to pull it off... It would only work against sentient creatures whose language you understand. You could carry those two spells readied for months without ever pulling it off.

And like I said, I can't see any other case where you would really want both of them of them. I would be more likely to want to do Fireball and Phantom Lighting or something like that.