Fourth Edition Errata, Clarifications, and FAQs

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Belenus
Re: Fourth Edition Errata, Clarifications, and FAQs

Post by Belenus » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:33 pm

Mataxes wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:49 pm
The Errata & Clarifications document can be found here.
Is it somehow possible to see when which entry was made in that file?
Since it is sorted by page and not by change date, it is quite annoying to find the new entrys.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:12 am

Belenus wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:33 pm
Is it somehow possible to see when which entry was made in that file?
Since it is sorted by page and not by change date, it is quite annoying to find the new entrys.
I think organizing by page number/item is much better than going by date. You can look at the outline/table of contents and see if there is any errata/clarification for specific items. Going by date, you might have different bits if errata for the same item in different parts of the document.

While there is a "version history" it isn't available in the "view only" mode, and obviously we're not going to open up the document for anybody to edit. So I guess an "arrange by date" option isn't in the cards.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Tattered Rags

Post by Tattered Rags » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:22 pm

Perhaps a change-log at the end should be added moving forward?
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem

ragbasti

Post by ragbasti » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:23 am

Unrequited Wave (GM Guide Page 241)

Key Knowledge Rank 3: Name of the weapon's creator
Key Knowledge Rank 5: Name of the Obsidiman who created the weapon

Something's off here. :roll:

Belenus

Post by Belenus » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:41 am

The Archer receives Vital Strike in circle 13, but it's description says it can only be used in closed combat.
The only close combat skill the archer learns is Spirit Strike.
Is it really meaned to be used like this by an archer?

Panda

Post by Panda » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:16 pm

Greetings,

Vital Strike is not limited to close combat, it can also affect similar ranged attacks, such as using Missile Weapons and Throwing Weapons. It does not affect Spellcasting or similar abilities. The errata/FAQ document has bee updated.

Best regards,

Morgan

Belenus

Post by Belenus » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:19 pm

Thanks! I added it to the german errata as well :)

I have another question, since it is a discussion running in a german forum:
On page 256 of the Players Guide is written:
1. Weave Threads into Spell
If a spell requires spell threads, the magician weaves them using the appropriate
Thread Weaving talent (Elementalism, Illusionism, Nethermancy, or Wizardry). To
weave a spell thread, the magician makes a Thread Weaving test against the spell’s
Weaving Difficulty. One thread is woven for each success on the test.
A magician cannot normally weave spell threads and cast a spell during the same
round. Having woven the required threads, the magician must cast the spell during
the next round. Some high circle talents may allow a magician to weave threads and
cast a spell in the same round.
I couldn't find such a talent in the compendium, did I just oversee it, will it come with another product, or did you discard it?

Telarus

Post by Telarus » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:08 pm

I'm pretty sure the Spliced Weave talent (ED4 Companion, 15th Circle Talent for all spellcasters) allows this. It is a Simple action that allows you to take X strain to roll X threadweaving tests. (Cannot be used in the same round as Concise Casting.)

Tattered Rags

Post by Tattered Rags » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:18 pm

I don't think you can cast spells in the same turn, though.

Which, of course, makes the concise casting comment seem unnecessary, so I don't know.
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem

ottdmk

Post by ottdmk » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:08 pm

So, Spellcasting, like pretty much everything else is dictated by the timing rules. Thankfully, those rules are pretty straightforward.
  • You get one Standard action per round.
  • You get any number of Simple actions per round, although your ST may decide you're taking too many of them. Also, keep in mind that unless stated otherwise in its description you can only use a Talent once per round.
  • You get any number of Free actions per round.
So, using Thread Weaving (EDPG pg 174) is a Standard action. Spellcasting (EDPG pg 168) is also a Standard action... so, you can't do both in one round. Also, given the rules for casting spells, Thread Weaving has to be done first.

Certain high level Talents change the rules. For example, Concise Casting (EDC pg 51) is used instead of Spellcasting in order to cast a second spell (and only a second spell during one round)... because it only takes a Simple Action. Why only a second spell? Because a) it specifies that it must be used after a Spellcasting test and b) it does not state you can use it multiple times in a round.

Spliced Weave (EDC pg 67) lets you make Thread Weaving tests (as many as you want) as a Simple Action. Assuming your Thread Weaving grants you all the Threads you need to cast the spell, you may then use Spellcasting to cast it. This is possible because there's nothing that says you can't use one or more Simple Actions before your Standard Action. You can also use Simple Actions after a Standard Action, or any combination as long as it's legal for the activity you're doing.