Elves: The Wheel of Life

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Bonhumm
Elves: The Wheel of Life

Post by Bonhumm » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:42 pm

More questions / request for opinions again:

Kinda just found out there was a whole section about game mechanics at the end of the Denizens / Namegivers of Barsaive and the section about the Wheel of Life really confused me.

From reading the 'in game' section my understanding was that when changing path, all elves had to drop their Discipline (and therefore Talents) and pick a new one, regaining them all only once they reached the Path of Lords. The only difference being that the 'Strict' followers had a single Discipline to pick up at every path while the 'Loose' followers had a pool of 2-3 of Disciplines to choose from at every path.

However, reading the 'rules' section seems to say that:

1- My interpretation for the 'Strict' followers seems correct (except that they also have to drop their SKILLS in addition to Discipline and Talents).

2- The description about the 'Loose' followers however seems to imply (quote: suffer no game restrictions) that they do NOT have to drop anything when changing path. They just have to START a new Discipline (and change their roleplay/outlook) so that all Discipline would stack up as he goes.

Is that right?

Also I'm particularly confused by the example they give: an elven Elementalist who follows the Path of Warriors would certainly act differently than one who follows the Path of Sages because, considering that Elementalist is not among the Disciplines that could be picked up at (or before) the Path of Warrior.

Any insights?

Thank you.

Slimcreeper

Re: Elves: The Wheel of Life

Post by Slimcreeper » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:37 pm

Just make up your own thing the wheel of life stuff isn’t implemented very well sorry no hard feelings