Astral Sensing Redux

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Belenus
Re: Astral Sensing Redux

Post by Belenus » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:16 pm

Dougansf wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:23 pm
Because it does allow you to cast at something in total darkness, that is otherwise in LoS.
Meaning I just can ignore the penalty for total darkness of -4? And why is this description especially mentioned for Astral Sense, when Astral Sight has the same effect already?

Baravakar

Post by Baravakar » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:28 pm

Dougansf wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:59 pm
Baravakar wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:01 pm

For the (dead) wooden building there is no total cover to consider. Spells do not bend around corners....
  • (They) avoid physical obstacles to strike the target
So, you disagree with the clearly defined rules on page 387 about Cover modifying MD?

Let's try quoting the full text for a second, shall we.
Material objects between the caster and the target will not prevent a spell from reaching the target unless they block the magician's line of sight. Targets receive a bonus to their Mystic Defense for cover to reflect the increased difficulty of targeting them successfully. If the Spelcasting test succeeds any physical manifestation that accompanies the spell avoids physical obstacles to strike the spells target.
The physical manifestation going around objects is the last step of a successful spellcasting test, which is more of a special effect after all the important issues of targeting have been addressed.

The above quote does is not altered by having Astral Sense active. While Astral Arcs can be formed via Astral Sense, the Line of Sight requirement is still in effect (except for Mystic Shock).
I don't disagree with the clearly defined rules for cover. There are caveats you are ignoring.
  • Material objects between the caster and the target will not prevent a spell from reaching the target unless they block the magician's line of sight.
Line of site is physical. I am not talking about physically locating the target with sight.
  • Sight is not the only way of targeting a spell, though it is the most common.
  • Any method that makes the magician certain of the target’s location allows the creation of the proper astral arc.

Astral Sensing allows for the magician to locate the target and create arc which allows for a spell to be cast. This method is not using sight so material objects between the caster and the target do not provide cover.

The rules clearly state that sight is not the only way of targeting a spell. So your assumption that LOS is required for every spell except Mystic Shock is wrong.

And once more for the record. This is how we play, if your play style is different, that is fine. I am not forcing anyone to use the method we use, except our players.

RazanMG

Post by RazanMG » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:52 pm

You can of course play any way you like and its ok.

But:
So your assumption that LOS is required for every spell except Mystic Shock is wrong.
Its not assumption its a fact, devs clearly stated it.

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:46 am

I think we can agree that:

- The written rules can clearly and easily be interpreted as Astral Sensing counting as 'knowing where the target is'/'LOS
- That the DEVs seems to have clearly stated that it was not the case.
And:
- That an official errata/clarification would have been great.