2 Questions about Elemental Hold.

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
FrozenVomit
2 Questions about Elemental Hold.

Post by FrozenVomit » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:38 pm

Question 1: Using Elemental Hold need all the focus of the Elementalist. He can’t do any action or the ability end.

This suck because I would like to use Elemental Talk to talk with it, just to try to reason with the spirit Elemental...why he is attaking us? But I can’t, because Elemental Talk is an Standard Action and it would end Elemental Hold.

I’m I right?

Question 2: If i’m holding and Elemental, and my party attack the Elemental Spirit, does it end the ability? If not Hold Elemental is pretty strong imo!

Bonhumm

Re: 2 Questions about Elemental Hold.

Post by Bonhumm » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:27 am

FrozenVomit wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:38 pm
Question 1: Using Elemental Hold need all the focus of the Elementalist. He can’t do any action or the ability end.
This suck because I would like to use Elemental Talk to talk with it, just to try to reason with the spirit Elemental...why he is attaking us? But I can’t, because Elemental Talk is an Standard Action and it would end Elemental Hold.
I’m I right?
Good question:

The talent description says:

'This talent requires the adept’s concentration—other than communication, he cannot move, cast spells, or perform any other actions"

So this would imply that, when this talent was written, Elemental Tongues was not planned to be an action.

OR MAYBE, you need to make your Elemental tongue BEFORE doing Elemental hold. After all, Elemental hold says that you 'order it to halt' but how would you order the elemental if you cannot speak to it?

FrozenVomit wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:38 pm
Question 2: If i’m holding and Elemental, and my party attack the Elemental Spirit, does it end the ability? If not Hold Elemental is pretty strong imo!
The only condition being that the Elemental needs to do a Willpower test against the talent's step. So I would say yes, it is 'held' no matter if he is damaged.

It is a bit strong indeed.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:04 am

I assume by "Elemental Talk" you mean "Elemental Tongues".

That talent works like the Speak Language talent -- that is, the Elementalist learns the language beforehand, and once learned, can use it to communicate. Only the "learning" process of Elemental Tongues requires a standard action.

The test made to indicate how well the spirit understands the user is not an action, as it is a part of communication (which is explicitly allowed by Elemental Hold).

===

Two addenda:

First, I don't have any problem with allowing the use of Elemental Tongues (even to learn the particular elemental language) during the use of Elemental Hold -- despite the action requirement -- because of the communication allowance. The Elementalist is, after all, trying to communicate through the use of the talent. (The same goes for Spirit Hold/Spirit Talk as well.)

Second, if I could go back and do it differently now, I would make Elemental Tongues (as well as the Speak and Read/Write Language talents) work differently. No "learning" process that takes up slots, just make the talent a simple/free action that makes a test to determine how well the talent user communicates based on the test result.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:11 pm

*throws away his player’s guide*

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:11 pm

Just kidding!