AAR: Such are Promises

*ARCHIVED* Sub-forum for the original West Marches Discord campaign

Moderator:etherial

Reyntrannin

Post by Reyntrannin » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:16 am

Time: 2018-09-09 @ 23:59 GMT (8:00 PM EDT)
GM: ReynTrannin
Circle: 9
Difficulty: Medium

Player Rewards:
Ceadda: 39,000 Legend, 2,900 sp, 3 TIP's
Romari: 39,000 Legend, 2,900 sp, 3 TIP's
Thane Cawdor: 39,000LP, 2,600 Silver, 3 TIPs, initiate into Follower of Floranuus. 6 absorb blow charms (300)
Gronk Longtusk: 39,000 Legend, 2,900 sp, 3 TIP's

GM Reward:
Blaethynn,6,000 Legend, 850 sp, 1 TIP

Downtime Actions:
Romari: Item History 21 (Rank 6, x2 Karma)
Romari: Research 32 (Rank 9, x2 Karma)
Gronk Longtusk: Forge Weapon Step 9 (Rank 1)

Additional notes:
The children rescued form the Heart Tree outside Borgen's Rest have awakened and seem to be in good health.
Last edited by Reyntrannin on Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

etherial

Re: AAR: [9M] Such are Promises

Post by etherial » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:18 am

From the journal of Gronk Longtusk

11 Riag, 1424 T.H.
The Questors of Garlen and Floranuus believe they have discovered a cure for the comatose children that we recovered from Borgan's Rest. They have asked us to bring back some Jimicia fruit to bring us into a shared dream state with the comatose children and confront the Horror there.

16 Riag
At the edge of the Servos Jungle, we've found the forest where the Jimicia fruit was once reputed to grow. While searching around for it, a Hydra burst out of the undergrowth and tried to tear Romari apart with its jaws. Ceadda and Thane threw themselves at it. I suspected that chopping off its heads might slow it down, but it seems my suspicions were for naught - my second Flame Arrow downed the beast without dropping a single head.

In the Hydra's lair, we were able to recover some Jimicia fruit. Thane cleverly suggested we recover some ripe and unripe fruit, since we had no idea how long the fruit would last.

19 Riag
Thane has been taking us Northwest instead of North and we have lost a day on the return trip. The ripe Jimicia fruit has begun to turn. +1 for Thane and -1 for Thane.

22 Riag
We delivered the Jimicia fruit to Silvano, who will spend the rest of the day crafting the potion.

23 Riag
We lay down next to the children and took the Jimicia fruit, entering a dark dream-cave. Within, we were attacked by two monstrous spiders. Thane and I were each quicky webbed by the spiders and a firey toxin began tearing through my system. Ceadda and Romari came to our rescue, however, slaying first the one attacking me and then the one attacking Thane.

As we continued through the cave, we saw a wall of fog. Using dream logic, we entered the fog and slowly floated down into a haunted grove with a tree similar to the one we'd fought before. Three children were bound fast to the tree, its bark having grown around their wrists and feet. Two monstrous tree creatures came after us, attacking Thane and Romari. My wounds from the previous battle left me somewhat useless, but Ceadda was once again able to get the job done and the creatures were slain.

Using our collective will, we freed the children from the tree and then we woke up.

PCs:
Ceadda, male Human Warrior
Gronk Longtusk, male Ork Archer/Liberator
Romari Savre, male Elf Wizard/Traveled Scholar
Thane Cawdor, male Troll Sky Raider

NPCs:
Miriam, Questor of Garlen
Several comatose children
Silvano, Questor of Floranuus

BattleChad

Post by BattleChad » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:35 pm

The Great Library of Throal thanks Gronk for his contribution.

Journal Rewards: 1,950 Legend Points and 725 Silver

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:55 pm

From the Journal of Thane Cawdor.

I have been checking up upon the children we rescued from the Heart-Tree a while ago. Their condition has not improved. It has not changed at all except that despite the best ministrations of the healers at the house of healing that the Questors of Garlen operate in the Hall of Tav, they were slowly growing more sickly due to lack of exercise. I have of recent months been spending much of my off-time around one or another of the Shrines of Florannus, and I found myself telling one of the Questors, an Elf named Sivano, about the children. He was kind enough to visit the children with me, and the next day said that he had communed with his passion, and that the Passion of Motion had inspired him with a plan to return Motion to the children.

He needed Jimicia fruit (which I have, memorably, eaten before) in order to brew an elixir. Ceadda, Gronk, Romari, and I went forth to get some. We went to an area where pre-scourge there had been a whole garden growing the fruit. We encountered a hydra, which we slew, and found that it had seemed to enjoy the fruit, as it had several plants near it's lair and much half-eaten fruit. We took a number of fruits, some already ripe, but also a selection of not quite ripe plants, since we knew we it would be at least a week until we could get back to Throal.

Sivano is an alchemist and brewed up several batches of elixir, each batch only using one unmixed fruit. We then made ourselves comfortable in the children's sick-rooms, and each batch was split, with one of us Adepts taking part, and the rest of that batch being poured down one child's throats. We fell asleep and entered a dream-state. I had rather expected that we would end up separated, each needing to help one child overcome their own personal deepest fear, and had tried to do a bit of research such that we could match an Adept up with a psychosis, but we had failed to spend enough time in research so we had no idea what child might be afraid of what. As it turned out however, we all ended up together, as the children's main fear all was the same thing - a hearts tree.

We did first have to confront some minor fears first. One of the children seems to have been afraid of the dark. Another must have been afraid of spiders, as we were set upon by two huge kear spiders. I was quickly entrapped in a web and grappled such that I was unable to break out or do anything useful. Gronk was also entrapped, but was also poisoned horribly almost unto death. I am not certain that I was ever poisoned at all, but if I was, my Iron Constitution handled it without the slightest physical symptom.

We came to an opening, the likes of which I did not like at all. Ceadda however strode bravely though it, and proved the way safe. The rest of us followed and were swiftly transported to a beautiful garden. The colors were vibrant and unusual. There was a gazebo http://www.kodtweb.com/2011/05/20/lair-of-the-gazebo-3/ with a huge Hearts-Tree, at least 200 feet tall growing in the center of it. We saw some figures were entrapped within the lattice. I approach cautiously, but am still almost surprised by the two Chidra (pig-men made of wood) that leap out at me. I take 2 horrible wounds from their many fierce attacks, but once they are no longer ambushing, they are quickly slain.

We hacked the children out of the tree, and Romari performed delicate surgery where the tree had pierced their flesh. We got them all removed from the tree and then we, and they woke up.

I spoke much more with Silvano, and we went down to the main shrine of Floranuus in Throal, and I pledged to become a Follower of Floranuus. Afterwards we had a great party, somewhat tame since there were children present.

BattleChad

Post by BattleChad » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:35 pm

The Great Library of Throal thanks Thane for his contribution.

Journal Rewards: 1,950 Legend Points and 725 Silver