Space Travel in 1879

Discussion of GMing 1879. Warning: Here there be spoilers!
daniel_a
Space Travel in 1879

Post by daniel_a » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:47 pm

As I was working on some GMCs for my campaign I thought about space travel in the steampunk genre. We have the RPGSpace 1889 for example, and books like From the Earth to the Moon, by Jules Verne. But then I recalled, if I remember correctly, that there was something stopping living organisms from going too far away from the Earth in the Shadowrun setting years ago (and all my Shadorwun books are packed and put in storage while I wait for a proper place to live).
That made me wonder if there is a similar barrier stopping from travelling too far from the surface of the Earth in 1879 as well? Not that I have any plans for space travels in my campaign, just curiosity. Though, I have to admit that two of my GMCs in the campaign sure could find the thought of going to the Moon an intriguing idea, and would probably at least be interested in looking into it.
I would love to read other 1879 game masters' thoughts about this.

Andrew1879

Re: Space Travel in 1879

Post by Andrew1879 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:28 pm

There is - not a barrier, but a lack of atmosphere. The Gaiasphere only reaches up so high, and beyond that, anyone dependent on mana simply cannot survive. That means no spellcasters, no Boojums, and no cryptozoologicals. Unfortunately, while it's possible to carry air with you in a sealed environment, such as a spacesuit or a ship, carrying mana with you doesn't work nearly so well. Although there's the possibility of adapting the mana focus of Earth and the mana battery of the Samsut ... the Anunnaki surely knew how to do something about this as they traveled in space ...

daniel_a

Post by daniel_a » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:47 pm

I see. So my (or in-game: Marjorie's and Pauline's) idea of trapping some air elementals, or true air kernels, for air supply won't work? Well, back to the drawing board for them, I guess :-)
Maybe they should send out some daring adventurers to steal information about those things from the Samsut ...

Andrew1879

Post by Andrew1879 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:40 pm

Stealing the tech and then figuring it out could be a campaign in and of itself. You might also see if you can find a sipir-abu-nikiltu, a priest-technician, who has been screwed over by the Amelites or the temple leadership and is willing to sell out their people. Finding a potential defector and getting them out of the Edeesmatu would be a major adventure.

daniel_a

Post by daniel_a » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:32 pm

Yes, that is a great idea for a campaign, but I think it'll have to be the next campaign, since the goal of this one is pretty big as it is: Finding a way back to Barsaive.

FabianGonzz

Post by FabianGonzz » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:07 am

Very interesting information. I like to play too, but lately I try to walk outside more often because it's good for me. But I live in an area where the weather changes every hour and it is not very convenient. Because it's unpleasant to get caught in the pouring rain. It's good that I found this https://365weather.us weather forecast site and now I know what the weather will be in an hour tomorrow or in a week. Because this is the most accurate weather forecast. Now it's very comfortable to walk outside because unexpected rain can't scare me anymore

Harlow

Post by Harlow » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:07 pm

In the case of volaris canceled flight, what types of expenses or losses can be eligible for compensation, and how can I ensure that my claim includes all relevant details?

Monroe

Post by Monroe » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:22 pm

In the case of a Volaris canceled flight, there are various types of expenses and losses that might be eligible for compensation. These can include not only the obvious ones like ticket costs but also additional expenses like accommodation, transportation to and from the airport, and even potential lost wages. To ensure that your claim is comprehensive, it's crucial to document everything meticulously. Keep a record of your original ticket, any receipts for additional expenses incurred due to the cancellation, and communication with the airline. Note down the date and time of the cancellation, any information provided by airline staff, and take screenshots if you're communicating with them online. The more details you can provide, the stronger your claim will be. For a smoother claims process, consider using services like AirAdvisor, which specialize in helping passengers get the compensation they deserve. AirAdvisor can assist you in understanding the specific regulations and rights applicable to your situation. They often have access to a wealth of information and experience in dealing with airline compensation claims. Remember to check the terms and conditions of your ticket as well, as they might outline the compensation you're entitled to in case of cancellations.

Sirsom1993

Post by Sirsom1993 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:31 am

You could leave it open-ended. Perhaps there are rumors of a mysterious "Van Allen Belt" around Earth, a zone where strange phenomena occur and technology malfunctions geometry dash world. This could add a layer of intrigue and danger to space travel, making it an even more daring feat for your ambitious GMCs.