AAR: Mail Call

Post by etherial » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:40 am

Mail Call
Time: 2018-06-07@23:59 GMT
GM: etherial (Gronk)
Circle: 3
Difficulty: Medium

Player Rewards:
Avalandohamagannahnieventhallailmar: 3 TIPs, 1400 Legend, 37 silver, Perception training, 1 Kelix's Poultice, 1 Kelia's Antidote
Celemir: 3 TIPs, 1400 Legend, 345 silver, 370 Silver
Dubhan: 3 TIPs, 1400 Legend, 1x Kelix' Poultice, Kelix's Poultice Recipe, 1x Kelia's Antidote , Kelia's Antidote Recipe, 65 Silver
Fredi: 3 TIPs, 1400 Legend, 370 Silver
Whyr'wyndyl: 3 TIPs, 1400 Legend, 370 Silver

Downtime Actions Available:
Celemir: Craft Weapon Step 10 (Rank 3) (Anything Damage 5 or below)
Dubhan: Alchemy Step 7, Booster Potions (Per 7 + Alchemy 3 - Kit 3)
Dubhan: Research Step 21 (Per 7 + Research 4 + Speed Read 6 + Karma 4)
Researchers may spend 20/2 Silver for +3 Steps

Further Information:
The Nethermancer Rolam Goretusk had foolishly turned himself into a Ghoul and has been destroyed.

Dougansf

Re: AAR: Mail Call

Post by Dougansf » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:24 pm

Celemir's Chronicles

We are to head to Kaer Avon to deliver a message to Nysta's son. I'm not sure which is more surprising, that she's already made it to sixth circle, or that she has a son. It's odd how the magic finds us at different stages in life.

First night, second watch Dubhan hear something moving towards us. As we wake the others, we spot a team of 8 ghouls and a leader. While the magicians prepare spells, and Fredi mounts her Troajin, I jump down and put two arrows into the Ghoul Leader, killing it. Why’windle charges the group, and lets himself get surrounded by the ghouls. Fredi lines up her Charge and slams into one. Avalan releases his Desperate lightning bolt into 4 ghouls, killing one and wounding the rest. I move away from the one that charged me, and shoot the next closest one in the back, killing it. Whyr’windle tries to keep the attention on him. I spot one Ghoul sneaking towards Dubhan. Dubhan moves and casts Mind Dagger at another. Fredi kills one Ghoul, and Su claws another one. I kill the stealthy one before it can ambush anyone. Whyr’windle is hit, poisoned, and knocked down. Su kills another, then Fredi moves to prepare another Charge. Fredi’s charge kills the last one.

3 days later, we arrive at town Avonmore outside the Kaer. Obviously I need to come back more often. Things are progressing nicely, but they've obviously had some troubles. We prove ourselves free of the Horrors (after a few tries), and so do they. We are allowed to enter. We find Anderfinstafin, and deliver the message. He was injured in his last fight against the Ghouls. They’re very coordinated in their attacks. We spend some time for Avalan to treat some injuries and heats some food for the town, then I find tracks to follow.

That night, ws we are settling down to camp, we’re approached by several Chakta Birds who talk to us in our heads. They complain to us about the Ghouls being horrible conversationalists. The ghouls are coming from a Nethermancer’s lair that exploded (Rolam Goretusk, used to feed the birds). We offer them some food for information, they fly off doing some recon. Upon his return, he tells us that they’re still at the laboratory. There seems to be one in charge there as well. I invite the helpful bird to perch on my shoulder as we head in that direction, feeding it as we go.

We arrive at the ruins, and see a ork ghoul standing amongst them. When Whyr’wyndyl charges to attack, others emerge from the ruins to attack. (1 orc leader, 1 leader, 4 normal) Whyr’wyndyl gets most of the ghouls on him. Dubhan casts Combat Fury on the fighters. Avalan is poisoned by one. I kill one on Whyr’wyndyl. Fredi tears into the orc, and sets up another charge. I shoot the one on Avalan but it stays standing. Avalan releases a lighting bolt knocking another down. Fredi comes in attacking the ork from behind, so does Su which kills the orc. One last arrow from me kills the leader on Avalan. Dubhan applies a poultice to his poisoned wound and the rest of us finish off the remaining ghouls.

We examine the ruins and find some journals from the ork Nethermancer. He thinks he can find immortality, but as an ork he needs to extend his life long enough to research it fully. He thinks his intellect can withstand the ghoul withering. His rambling gets worse and worse, and eventually stop. It becomes clear that he could not.

We return to Avonmore to let them know the issue has been resolved.

ottdmk

Post by ottdmk » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:25 pm

From the journals of Dubhan Goronich:

A small group of companions and I agreed to deliver a letter from the famed Nethermancer Pethrytholilanista to her son. I agreed to undertake the task largely to gain access to Nista (as she is commonly known) as a teacher of the alchemical arts. Along with me were Whyr'wyndel the Windling Warrior, Celemir the Elven Woodsman, Avalandohamagannahnieventhallailmar (aka Avalan) an Obsidiman Elementalist and one Fredi Dram, a Dwarven Cavalryman.

On our way to Kaer Avon, we are attacked by an unusually well-organized gang of ghouls. We manage to drive them off, but not without pain and effort.

Arriving at Avonmore we successfully deliver our message, but discover that the Ghouls have been even more trouble in this area. My colleagues and I determine to render what assistance we can. Our Woodsman is successful in his efforts to track the marauders down.

While tracking the Ghouls to our lair, we are assisted in our efforts by some friendly Chakta Birds. The Birds are easily bribed with rations to act as scouts for us. They also know that the Ghouls are based around the lair of one Rolam Goretusk, an Ork Nethermancer by trade. After dispatching the Ghouls (one of which turned out to be Goretusk himself) we discover his journals. Turns out this entire mess was born of the orc's desire for immortality. No wonder the natural order was so badly disturbed.

Successful in our mission we returned to Kaer Avon to report, and thence to Throal.

BattleChad

Post by BattleChad » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:49 am

The Great Library of Throal thanks Dubhan and Celemir for their contributions.

Journal Rewards: 70 Legend Points and 92 silver

Fusilliban

Post by Fusilliban » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:13 am

The Observations of Avalandohamagannahnieventhallailmar

Delivering messages is an important task, and my people are often entrusted with it. An Elf Nethermancer, Pethrytholilanista Mestrisanialira Ferianimalirira Alcantoritalirnora Restimotronora Caminantenorlira Zefrandestinornora, had need to send a message to her daughter. She is one of the first Adepts I ever traveled with, and I rememeber her well - though I see she has advanced in Circles much more rapidly than I! I am pleased by her success. Joining me on messenger duty were four companions:

Celemir, Elf Woodsman
Dubhan Goronich, Dwarf Wizard
Fredi Dram, Cavalrydwarf
Whyr'wyndyl, Windling Warrior

We formed a caravan to Kaer Avon, and traveled safely. We were briefly accosted by a few Ghouls, but they were no match for us, even if they caught us sleeping. This gave me an opportunity to test out my new Desperate Spell charm, which is very effective when paired with the Lightning Bolt spell. I would have been much less useful against them if all I had were Earth Darts. I did not expect that Air would be such a strong element on the attack - I have much more to learn. I did expect that Fredi would be so strong on attack, and she was.

We arrived at the surface outpost of Kaer Avon. They are not doing well - ghouls have attacked them many times, not merely once, and they have fewer Adepts than we had. I delivered Pethrytholilanista's message to her daughter, Anderfinstafin. She is wounded, and asks to send a message back to her mother. I asked what message she wanted to send, and she suggested that it would be nice to send a message that Avon was no longer suffering from ghoul problems. We immediately agree to help, and spend a few hours patching up the injured defenders of the town.

Celemir found ghoul tracks (she is much better at this than I am), and we set out to see if we could follow them back to their lair. We followed them for the remainder of the day, and were seeking a place to camp when we found ourselves in conversation with Chakta Birds. (See enclosed drawing.) Chakta Birds are extremely polite (a trait I did not know birds would have!) and their feathers seemed ruffled. Metaphorically speaking. Literally speaking they were quite clean. Also they were not literally speaking, they were Chakta Birds. Dwarf language is odd.

The Chakta Birds were upset about the ghouls, and were hungry. We traded them food for scouting, and they led us to the ruins of the former home of Rolam Goretusk. The ghouls seemed to congregate around her old home. The next morning, we went there and found her, talking to herself. Literally speaking, she was literally speaking. Unlike the Chakta Birds. Whyr'wyndyl spoke with her, and was regaled with tales of Rolam's quest for immortality. She had done something very "clever" and infected herself with the disease of ghouldom, believing her mind to be strong enough to hold the disease off. She promised that she would demonstrate her power to us, and she did.

Ghouls, like many creatures in Barsaive, attack with claws and also with poison. Their poison severely weakened me, as it did Dubhan. When fighting ghouls, great care must be taken to avoid this poison, or to ingest an antidote before exposure. I do not know how to make this antidote, but if the ingredients for such can be harvested from venomous spiders, I have an Exciting Plan. This batch of ghouls was stronger and more organized than we had fought before, but we were able to defeat them, even poisoned. Air remains a powerful attack element. I am also learning that Wood is a powerful element on the attack, especially when that wood is an arrow shot by Celemir. Whyr'wyndyl continues to be a mighty warrior, who has no place in corn chips and every place on the battlefield, often holding off three or more opponents four times her own size. We defeated the ghouls, as well as Rolam Goretusk, herself long since a ghoul.

We returned to Kaer Avon without further incident. They cheered at the news that the ghouls had lost their coordinator, and Anderfinstafin was happy to send a message back to her mother. She, in turn, was happy to receive it - both to receive a message at all, and that we helped her stay alive. She paid us quite well for our time, chiefly in items of her own making. After my companions left, I stayed with Pethrytholilanista for some time, catching up with an old friend, and learning what I could.

BattleChad

Post by BattleChad » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:15 pm

The Great Library of Throal thanks Avalan for their contributions.

Journal Rewards: 70 Legend Points and 92 silver