Adventure module list

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Bonhumm
Adventure module list

Post by Bonhumm » Sat May 12, 2018 10:57 pm

(updated)

Here's a list of pretty much all official (i.e. not fan made) game module and adventure frameworks for Earthdawn. When those adventures are available in multiple editions, the link included is for the most recent/updated one. Note that since they are adventures and not resource books, they are compatible with any editions since they mostly don't cover anything related to the mechanics, so a first edition adventures would be compatible with a campaign set in 4th Edition.

Clicking the title of the module will bring you to the product page with a more detailed description of the book and the ability to purchase it in PDFs files or (sometime) paper.

NB: The 'Classic Edition' was produced between the 2nd and 3rd Edition

'FULL' MODULES:

Adventure Compendium (Classic Edition, 369 pages)
A compendium of 1st Edition adventures, including:

- Mist of Betrayal: 3-5 players, Novice (67 pages)
- Terror in the sky: 3-5 players, Novice (59 pages)
- Infected: 3-5 players, Novice (61 pages)
- Shattered pattern: 3-5 players, Journeyman (51 pages)
- Blades: 3-5 players, Journeyman (88 pages)

Ardanyan’s revenge (3rd Edition, 106 pages)
A linear adventure/module for 3-5 players, Novice.

Burning Desires (3rd Edition, 98 pages)
A linear adventure/module for 3-5 players, Journeyman.

Kratas Adventures (3rd Edition, 98 pages)
Several adventures centering on the city of Kratas. This is NOT the Kratas book itself but an independent adventures book. NOT the same quests than in the adventures frameworks of the Kratas book. They are NOT for ‘thieves/thieves-like only’ but are for high Journeyman to Warden players.

Legends of Barsaive (4th Edition)
Toys in the attic, Lip service
Two (so far) adventures book set around Heaven/Parlainth. For 6 to 8 players of 1st to 2nd Circle.

Misguided Ambitions (3rd Edition, 38 pages)
An introduction to Earthdawn, the booklet includes a quick overview of the Earthdawn universe then an interesting adventure module to introduce brand new characters/players to the game. This book is available for free.

Parlainth Adventures (1st Edition, 80 pages)
Several mid-sized adventures set in the city of Parlainth. Some for 2nd to 3rd Circle and 1 for 4th to 5th Circle.

Path of deception (1st Edition, 116 pages)
A linear adventure/module in Parlainth for 6-8 players, 3rd to 5th Circle.

Prelude to War (1st Edition, 122 pages), Barsaive at war (1st Edition, 157 pages) and Barsaive in Chaos (2nd Edition, 129 pages)
THE epic adventures of Earthdawn. Needs to be at least 4th Circle in the beginning but Circle requirements increases as the modules advance (although the LP given at each steps should be enough to meet those requirements).

WARNING!: A few events from Barsaive at war are NOT considered canon in 4th edition (specifically, the horrors attack on Vivane/Skypoint).
WARNING!: Barsaive in Chaos is NOT considered canon AT ALL in 4th edition.

Shards (3rd Edition, 98 pages each)
Volume 1, Volume 2
Two volumes containing a compilation of Adventures found in a ton of different books of previous editions. They are NOT a campaign (not related to one another) and varies from Novice to Journeyman.

Sky point adventures (1st Edition, 82 pages)
A semi-linear set of adventures happening in and around the Terran’s Skypoint and Vivane area. For 2nd to 4th Circle.

Throal Adventures (1st Edition, 82 pages)
A semi-linear set of adventures happening in and around Throal. Strangely enough, although they claim to be linear, the Circle requirements for them dont make sense as the last one require 3rd to 4th Circle, while the 1st one require 5th and the 3rd one 6th to 7th Circle.

FRAMEWORKS:

Adventures frameworks are usually part of a non-adventure book and they give the general frameworks for an adventure but are not as detailed as a real module. An entire adventure framework might fit within a few pages.

Legends of Earthdawn (1st Edition)
Volume 1, Volume 2
Two volumes with the same approach: a compilation of short stories (2-5 pages) with adventure frameworks for each of them at the end of the book.

Nations of Barsaive Volume 1: Throal (3rd Edition)
Sourcebook mostly describing the kingdom of Throal. Some adventures frameworks are found from page 120 onward. Those are NOT the same adventures as the Throal Adventures book.

Nations of Barsaive Volume 2: Serpent River (3rd Edition)
Sourcebook mostly describing regions around the Serpent river, mostly (but not only) the T'skrangs. Some adventures frameworks are found from page 87 onward.

Nations of Barsaive Volume 3: Cara Fahd (3rd Edition)
Sourcebook mostly describing the brand new ork nation of Cara Fahd. Some adventures frameworks are found from page 108 onward.

Nations of Barsaive Volume 4: Crystal Raiders (3rd Edition)
Sourcebook mostly describing the multiples Crystal Raiders clan and their mountain ranges. Some adventures frameworks are found from page 107 onward.

Kratas City of thieves (3rd Edition)
Sourcebook on the city of Kratas. Some adventures frameworks are found from page 192 onward. Those are NOT the same than in the Kratas Adventures book.

Sky Point and Vivane boxed set (1st Edition)
A set of 3 books concerning the Theran city/outpost of Vivane and it's immediate area. The 3rd book (Vivane Province) includes some adventures frameworks from page 54 onward. Those are NOT the same than in the Sky Point Adventures book.

Travar The merchant city (4th Edition)
Sourcebook on the city of Travar. Some adventures frameworks are found from page 258 onward.

Special Adventures Frameworks 'Adventure Resources' (3rd Edition). A bunch of adventure frameworks including:
- Ancient Hatred
- Battle In The Mists
- False Prophet
- For The Tear Of A Dragon
- Like Moths To A Flame
- Messengers Of Doom
- Overdue Fee
- Smiling Faces
- Storm Over Wolfs Hill
- The Cure For Evil
Last edited by Bonhumm on Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:16 pm, edited 69 times in total.

Mataxes

Re: Adventure module list

Post by Mataxes » Sun May 13, 2018 4:30 pm

Bonhumm wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 10:57 pm
I'm trying to make a list of all the cannon game module / game framework of all editions, an overview for gamemasters references.

Do you guys see any mistake and/or stuff missing?

Prelude to War (1st Edition), Barsaive at war (2nd) and Barsaive in Chaos (2nd)

THE epic adventures of Earthdawn. Needs to be at least 4th Circle in the beginning but Circle requirements increases as the modules advance (although the LP given at each steps should be enough to meet those requirements).
Depending on how you're approaching things, Barsaive at War isn't wholly canon*. That is, in ED4 most of the broad strokes of the Second Theran War happen, but many of the details (especially with regard to the battles at Sky Point and Vivane) are different.

The event of Barsaive in Chaos have not happened in the ED4 timeline.

You're also missing the following from your list:

* Masks of Fear (the adventure included in the ED4 quick-start packet -- Novice/new characters)
* Toys in the Attic (Novice)
* Lip Service (Novice)

These are part of the "Legends of Barsaive" campaign arc for ED4, centered in and around Haven/Parlainth

* "Canon" is the official texts, "cannon" is a piece of artillery.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Flowswithdrek

Post by Flowswithdrek » Mon May 14, 2018 7:43 pm

What about the adventure resource frameworks. Do They Count?

Ancient Hatred
Battle In The Mists
False Prophet
For The Tear Of A Dragon
Like Moths To A Flame
Messengers Of Doom
Overdue Fee
Smiling Faces
Storm Over Wolfs Hill
The Cure For Evil
Bonhumm wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 10:57 pm
I'm trying to make a list of all the cannon game module / game framework of all editions, an overview for gamemasters references.

Do you guys see any mistake and/or stuff missing?

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Mon May 14, 2018 9:34 pm

Mataxes wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 4:30 pm

Depending on how you're approaching things, Barsaive at War isn't wholly canon*. That is, in ED4 most of the broad strokes of the Second Theran War happen, but many of the details (especially with regard to the battles at Sky Point and Vivane) are different.

The event of Barsaive in Chaos have not happened in the ED4 timeline.
Noted and corrected, thank you

Mataxes wrote:
You're also missing the following from your list:

* Masks of Fear (the adventure included in the ED4 quick-start packet -- Novice/new characters)
* Toys in the Attic (Novice)
* Lip Service (Novice)

These are part of the "Legends of Barsaive" campaign arc for ED4, centered in and around Haven/Parlainth
Will be added, thnx

Mataxes wrote:
* "Canon" is the official texts, "cannon" is a piece of artillery.
Boom, fixed :D

Flowswithdrek wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:43 pm
What about the adventure resource frameworks. Do They Count?
Ancient Hatred Battle In The Mists False Prophet For The Tear Of A Dragon Like Moths To A Flame Messengers Of Doom Overdue Fee Smiling Faces Storm Over Wolfs Hill The Cure For Evil

I had those and thought there were (high quality) fan-made modules. I will include them indeed if they are canon. I never saw them in other form than PDFs, were they part of other books and/or printed together or ever available/sold in print?

Thanks.

Panda

Post by Panda » Mon May 14, 2018 10:34 pm

Greetings,

In some ways the answers to this question varies based on how deep you want to go. This is going to be super pedantic, so buckle up. Classic (referred to as 2.5E below, which implies a non-existent 2E lineage), 3E, and 3E Revised (short lived to be certain) muddy the waters a bit.

I'm not certain of the goal is to present every edition an adventure can be found in, or simply the most recent edition. Obviously, everything in the Adventure Compendium was also released for 1E. In addition to Legends of Earthdawn, there's also vol. 2, Book of Exploration. Ardanyan's Revenge, Burning Desire, and many adventure frameworks/resources ("shards") were initially released for Classic, then updated for 3E. Some of the listed adventure resources are included in Shards vol. 1 and 2. As well, Mists of Betrayal was updated for 3E Revised.

I don't really know what is in Path of Deception - I think the Bodyguard Discipline came from that, but could be wrong - but the contents there aren't canon either if there's any bearing on the setting. Of note, the Bodyguard was never updated beyond it's 2E roots, except an unofficial 4E update as a birthday present for the friend of a fan.

Hopefully this was useful. Please let me know if there are any questions.

Best regards,

Morgan

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Mon May 14, 2018 11:12 pm

I guess I should have used 'official' instead of 'canon' then.

I wanted to include everything NOT fan-made (i.e released under license) and maybe include (like I did for Barsaive at war/chaos) a disclaimer if/when disavowed by 4th Edition.

I did try to include the most recent version whenever those adventures where available in different editions. I now include links for all of them on the FASA website except for the 2 modules that don't seem to be available on it.

I could not find anything about a new Discipline in Path of deception after a quick checkup. Seems to be mostly about Heavens and does not seems to include anything important that would affect anything outside it's own adventures.

Please advise if anything else is disavowed/not canon for 4th edition (Adventures wise, not mechanics)

Flowswithdrek

Post by Flowswithdrek » Tue May 15, 2018 7:46 pm

I'm don't know if 'canon' fits neatly with everything. I know past line developers didn't always consider some adventures canon (From memory Terror In The Skies was one of them, and thus its events not mentioned in the Travar sourcebook), though they were official products. The adventure frameworks where written by fans, but so was the Travar sourcebook. The frameworks may have been written by fans, but they were professionally edited, layout, art etc. It really depends on the angle you are looking at it from.

Marzhin

Post by Marzhin » Wed May 16, 2018 4:02 am

It's probably not canon, but in 1996 the French publisher of the first edition of Earthdawn (Descartes) published a free 8-pages adventure called "Le coffre de Daganil" (Daganil's chest). It was included with the Gamemaster's tool kit.
It was a nice introductory adventure starting in Kratas and putting the Adepts on the trail of a mysterious box having once belonged to a Wizard named Daganil. Of course the content of the box (really a coffin) proves more dangerous than expected...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

LouP

Post by LouP » Fri May 18, 2018 6:29 pm

Flowswithdrek wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:46 pm
I'm don't know if 'canon' fits neatly with everything. I know past line developers didn't always consider some adventures canon (From memory Terror In The Skies was one of them, and thus its events not mentioned in the Travar sourcebook), though they were official products. The adventure frameworks where written by fans, but so was the Travar sourcebook. The frameworks may have been written by fans, but they were professionally edited, layout, art etc. It really depends on the angle you are looking at it from.
Who ever said that Terror in the Skies shouldn't be considered canon? That's silly. IMO (and take that for what it's worth), everything published for the game for a specific edition should be considered canon. I can understand omitting an entire edition (like 2E for instance), but cherry-picking from products from a previous edition doesn't make sense to me. When we worked on 1E, we worked hard to build from every previously published product. I won't claim we didn't mess up from time to time, but we made efforts to make sure things were consistent.

This reminds me of rumors I've heard that a past Line Developer decided to ignore the locations of Shoshara and Sereatha on the map in the Theran Empire campaign set and deemed that they should be located elsewhere. How can this be a good idea?

Thanks!

Lou Prosperi

etherial

Post by etherial » Fri May 18, 2018 6:33 pm

LouP wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:29 pm
This reminds me of rumors I've heard that a past Line Developer decided to ignore the locations of Shoshara and Sereatha on the map in the Theran Empire campaign set and deemed that they should be located elsewhere. How can this be a good idea?
That map already has numerous problems, though. It contradicts other better-documented maps and game information, like the Vivane Boxed Set.