Rules Question: Optional talents and legend point cost

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Slimcreeper
Re: Rules Question: Optional talents and legend point cost

Post by Slimcreeper » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:06 am

I can see a way for it to fit the fluff, too. The adept is an agent in shaping the emphasis of his or her discipline.

Aegharan

Post by Aegharan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:06 am

LouP wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:02 pm

Fair enough (about not listing talents twice - which is a Good Thing (TM)), but what is the rationale for the increased cost? This also makes no sense to me. If the cost needs to change (and I don't see why it does) I would think the cost should be lower. As the adept gains experience, learning "lower level" abilities should be easier, not harder. To use a karate metaphor, learning a technique traditionally taught at Orange belt is almost always going to be easier for for a Brown belt student vs. an Orange belt student.

Take Care,

Lou Prosperi
The brown Belt still has to learn the same steps and movements, but his increased Knowledge and experience makes it easier for him.

A 6th circle Adept who learns a Talent for a novice slot still has to spend the same Legend points, but going on an adventure might give him 6000 LP, while the 2nd circle character might get 800, so the cost is the same, the relative cost is far lower, which fits your example well.

Re: Learning a Talent Option later
I think I Read in the PHB that this requires the same as Learning a Talent through Versatility. Is that the optional rule etherial mentioned?

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:54 pm

Aegharan wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:06 am
I think I Read in the PHB that this requires the same as Learning a Talent through Versatility. Is that the optional rule etherial mentioned?
Yes.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

LouP

Post by LouP » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:51 pm

Hello,
Aegharan wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:06 am
LouP wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:02 pm

Fair enough (about not listing talents twice - which is a Good Thing (TM)), but what is the rationale for the increased cost? This also makes no sense to me. If the cost needs to change (and I don't see why it does) I would think the cost should be lower. As the adept gains experience, learning "lower level" abilities should be easier, not harder. To use a karate metaphor, learning a technique traditionally taught at Orange belt is almost always going to be easier for for a Brown belt student vs. an Orange belt student.

Take Care,

Lou Prosperi
The brown Belt still has to learn the same steps and movements, but his increased Knowledge and experience makes it easier for him.

A 6th circle Adept who learns a Talent for a novice slot still has to spend the same Legend points, but going on an adventure might give him 6000 LP, while the 2nd circle character might get 800, so the cost is the same, the relative cost is far lower, which fits your example well.

i can get behind this point of view, but I still think the cost should be based on the level (Novice, etc.) at which the talent becomes available. Isn't that even simpler?

Take Care,

Lou

etherial

Post by etherial » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:55 pm

LouP wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:51 pm
i can get behind this point of view, but I still think the cost should be based on the level (Novice, etc.) at which the talent becomes available. Isn't that even simpler?
I think that is an entirely reasonable House Rule.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:54 am

I don't think that's a bad house rule, either, if you choose to go that way. The numbers don't make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things.

I can kind of see it going either way, and decided that we would keep the way it had been in ED3 (which did the same thing). Legend costs have always been based on the Circle the talent was acquired at. If it's a Circle 5 talent, it costs the same as other Circle 5-8 talents. Even if a Discipline has the potential to learn it sooner, this adept chose to do so at Circle 5 (or whatever).

I don't really think it's a problem? If a player wants to pick up a fifth Novice-tier option rather than dive into the nifty new Journeyman options that are suddenly available...? It's a bit weird, but probably uncommon enough that I'm not going to lose sleep over it. (I lose sleep over plenty as it is.)

It's actually kind of interesting that this discussion came up... for reasons I can't get into just yet.

Soon, though. :)
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Tattered Rags

Post by Tattered Rags » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:44 pm

Mataxes wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:54 am
It's actually kind of interesting that this discussion came up... for reasons I can't get into just yet.

Soon, though. :)
Tease. :)
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem