Mission: Garlen's Favor
GM: Aeggy
Date: 2018-02-18
Difficulty and circle rating: Circle 5 Medium

Player Rewards:
Romari: 4000 Legend, 800 Silver, 3 TIP
Ceadda: 4000 Legend, 800 Silver, 3 TIP
Gronk Longtusk, 3 TIPs, 4000 Legend, 675 Silver, Garlen Stone
Thane : 4000 Legend, 700 Silver, 3 TIP. A Jehuthra Thorax worth 130 SP, Shadowmant stinger worth 70 SP.

Downtime:
Alchemy 7 (Rank 3; Booster Potion, Kelia’s Antidote, Kelix's Poultice, Romari)
Map Making 8 (Rank 1, Romari)
Item History 14 (Rank 3, Romari)
Research 27 (Rank 5, Romari)
Forge Weapon Step 9 (Rank 1, Gronk)
Research Step 11 (Rank 0, Great Library, Gronk)

etherial

Re: AAR: Garlen's Favor

Post by etherial » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:55 am

From the journal of Gronk Longtusk

20 Mawag, 1422 T.H.
Ceadda, Romari, and Thane have asked me to help them reconsecrate a Temple of Garlen to use as a base of operations for clearing out the city of Telips. We spoke to the Throalic Temple of Garlen and they recommended that we bring some of Garlen's Tears down from her pool in the mountains.

27 Mawag
Having climbed into the mountains for the first time in his life, Neville is awed at the natural beauty all around us, particularly the beauty of Garlen's Pool. Some gathered water, bathed, or cried into the pool, but I just played it cool, not wanting to offend her with my sketchy criminal past.

4 Gahmil
Treading carefully through the outskirts of Telips, I spotted some Gnashers that got a little too close to us. I ambushed one and the party leapt to my aid but Romari got a little too deep into the brush and was attacked by a Shadowmant. Several other Shadowmants joined him and we had quite the party, but eventually they were dispatched.

We spent the early evening cleaning up the Temple and pouring the consecrated water into the requisite places in the Temple.

5 Gahmil
I slept like crap. Romari slept like crap. Neville's been sleeping like crap for days, but maybe that's just because he's a pampered city-dweller. We're all able to Art, so maybe it's just the spirit of the place and not the actions of a horror.

We did a scout-around in the area outside the Temple and found a Pack of things that Romari called Jehuthras. They're like giant spiders with the faces of Namegivers and they cast magically cold webbing on people and things. Romari was quickly all webbed up, floating like an idiot, and eventually Ceadda was, too. We were able to repel the first wave, killing one, and they retreated into their webs to reorganize and come at us again from different angles. That's when they webbed Ceadda. Thane and I held them off and we managed to kill another one, but two ran off.

We followed the two back to their nest and saw at least four more Jehuthras. We were in no shape to take that many on, so we left to bring the knowledge we've discovered back to Throal.

PCs:
Ceadda, male Human Warrior
Romari Savre, male Elf Wizard
Thane Cawdor, male Troll Sky Raider

NPCs:
Neville Barney, male Human Questor of Garlen

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:21 pm

Ceadda, Romari, Gronk Longtusk and myself visited the temple of Garlen here in Throal in order to see what could be done to rededicate Garlen's shrine in Telips, and get ourselves back in good graces with the passion. The high questor there suggested that we take a younger quester with us to magical pool we had assisted in the rededication of on the turn of the year, and collect some water from that pool and take it to the shrine in Telips. The younger questor was a young human named Neville Barney.

We had little trouble finding the Tears of Garlen. I merely had to re-read my journal to remind myself of the location, it was a good reminder of the value of keeping a detailed journal. At the sacred pool we filled several vessels of holy water, and also bathed and drank deeply. On the way back from the sight we encountered some Storm Wolves. They howled and summoned a storm, but neither side attacked the other and we went on in piece. We felt like we had passed a test.

The night before we arrived in Telips, several of us reported nightmares and general poor sleep. As we approached the city, we saw yet another pod of gnashers, 4 this time. While we were fighting them, 3 shadowmants attacked us (in broad daylight!). We slew all of the Gnashers and two of the shadowmants, but one of them got away. I collected several Gnasher teeth and Shadowmant stingers as trophies. I desired to track down the last shadowmant, but it was getting late and the others felt it best to hurry to the shrine. We found the shrine in good order. Apparently a new generation of Dread Centipedes had hatched and were guarding the shrine. We did not molest them, and they ignored us. We poured the water we had carried from the Tears of Garlen into the pool, and for good measure also sprinkled some into the ditch and walls. Young Neville seemed happy with the result, but we could detect no difference. On the other hand, none of us drank or bathed in the waters. We camped inside the shrine compound, but not in the shrine building itself. We all slept poorly, and none of us gained any recovery tests for having slept, though fortunately for me, I was still able to gain additional daily recovery tests through Fire Heal.

The next day we decided to explore some of the city. We approached a gatehouse in the old city walls. Both walls and gate were now nothing but mounds of rubble, distinguishable only by their rough outlines. We spotted a Jehutra just as it finished casting it's Iron Web power. Fortunately for us the web it created was not intricate. Romari was flying and not caught in the maze at all. Ceadda and Gronk were together in the same segment, and I was able to take just a few steps to rejoin them. Not being separated we were thus able to support each other, which helped a lot as there were 4 constructs attacking us. We slew two of the spider-things, but two wounded ones fled.

We tracked one of the wounded Jehutra to it's lair, and saw at least 4 fresh Jehutra moving around outside the lair. This was more than we felt we could handle in our weakened condition (not having any more recovery tests available). We traveled back towards Throal, and it was most a week before all of us were getting our normal recovery tests again! We will need to research this effect before venturing here again. On the way back, Rommari and myself collaborated upon making some maps. I supplied the navigation, he supplied the artistry.

nathaniel

Post by nathaniel » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:00 pm

From the Journal of Romari Savre,
Garlen's Favor

After our last trip to Telpis I felt Garlen’s displeasure with how I treated her temple. Not wanting to have a Passion displeased with him, he went to the Temple of Garlen and received a quest to regain her favor.

I took Ceadda, Thane and Gronk with me to gather water from Garlen’s Pool, a site in the mountains and take it to the temple outside Telpis. The Temple of Garlen sent with us a “fresh out of the kaer” acolyte named Neville Barney.

The trip to the pool was fairly uneventful, lots of walking and lots of complaining from Neville. Poor kid has never been out of the kaer and it showed. Once we got the water from the pool we headed towards Telpis but were met by the Storm Wolves. Thankfully they weren’t angry with us and we were able to pass by them with only a little rain to deal with.

Once we got to Telpis, horror infested stain on the land that it is, we found it mostly as we had left it. We got the drop on a small pack of Gnasher’s. The fight against them was going well enough when a few shadowmants decided to join the fray. Thankfully no one was severely injured and we dispatched all but one shadowmant that decided to flee.

We made to the temple, poured out the water in/around the temple and our carry water quest was complete (or so I thought). The dreams I had that night did not leave me well rested. Thinking that this might be some horror power we all exercised out creative skills. Finding our artwork to be doable we figured that it must be something else.

We scouted the area outside the temple and fond a pack of Jehuthras, giant spiders with name giver faces. They used their webbing to good effect, tying me and Ceadda down with cold webs. They attacked trying to take advantage of their webs and our being webbed. Thankfully I was able to distract them while Gronk, Thane and Caedda killed two and maimed two others. The injured fled and after a bit of a chase we found their nest, 4 fresh Jehuthras guarded the front and who knows how many more are hiding within.

With our poor sleep and an acolyte of Garlen to consider we decised to come back another day. We headed back to Thoral. After a few days on the road the dreams stopped and after returning our charge to his temple we were told Garlen was no longer upset with us.

BattleChad

Post by BattleChad » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:57 pm

The Great Library of Throal thanks Gronk, Thane, and Romari for thier contributions.

Journal Rewards: 200 Legend Points and 200 Silver