Wind Catcher is a Standard Action?

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Lys
Re: Wind Catcher is a Standard Action?

Post by Lys » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:46 am

If later publications invalidate your character build, it's entirely reasonable that you ask your GM for a chance to rebuild according to new material.

Also, my preferred fall mitigation and mobility talent is the Wings of Fire Blood charm. It's not as good as Wind Catcher for long drops, but it can easily do the job of Great Leap and Gliding Stride at the cost of being extremely unsubtle. Stormbreaker's is a flat oval disc of white opal set in silver and embeded between her shoulder blades. It projects flames of iridescent multicoloured fire.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:32 am

Lys wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:46 am
If later publications invalidate your character build, it's entirely reasonable that you ask your GM for a chance to rebuild according to new material.
Definitely agree. The weird thing here is that it wouldn't really invalidate it: Gliding Stride would still do what it did before. It's just that there is now a cheaper option for the desired effect. Most knacks (as far as I can recall) don't provide this kind of alternate route to a vanilla talent ability, and so it isn't usually a problem that knack publication happens later.
Lys wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:46 am
Also, my preferred fall mitigation and mobility talent is the Wings of Fire Blood charm.
Not familiar with that charm, but we usually play out of the core books (guides and companions). What is that out of?

Telarus

Post by Telarus » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:28 pm

Bad ass. :D

Lys

Post by Lys » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:57 pm

The Undying wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:32 am
Not familiar with that charm, but we usually play out of the core books (guides and companions). What is that out of?
Originally the Theran Empire book, where it was audricously expensive 15 blood magic damage. The one we're using is from the 3E core, which reduced the blood magic damage to 3. Unlike most blood charms which take a day to heal and become active, this this one takes a month, but we ruled a healing potion drops it it to a week. Wings of Fire lets you fly like a Windling (Movement 16) at 1 strain per turn for up to Toughness Step turns.

Normally they're made from fire opals installed in a criss-cross fashion across the user's back, which produce jets of normal yellow-red flame. Stormbreaker wanted to be special and ordered a custom job from a Nethermancer/Elementalist in Claw Ridge.

ottdmk

Post by ottdmk » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:24 pm

The thing I like about Wind Catcher is the sheer scale of it. It's not quite Feather Fall's "I fall forever, no problem" but man, 100y per rank? So at Rank 3, you can fall 300y, and if you manage a 16 on your test you can put yourself down anywhere in a 300y radius.

The utility of this if you have an airship is undeniable. Have fun storming the castle!

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:09 pm

And welcome to the forums, Ottdmk!

ottdmk

Post by ottdmk » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:52 pm

Thank you very much!

I bet paratroopers would love to have a few ranks in this Talent. :D

FrozenVomit

Post by FrozenVomit » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:09 pm

Hey! This is how I see it.

No you can’t do 2 Standards action in a round.Agreed.
You can’t use Climbing and Wind Catcher in the same round.

P.167 GM Guide: A character climb 2 yard per round + 1 yr per succes.

So after you climbed 2 yard a round have pass, therefore you are able to use a talent...maybe like Wind Catcher?

This is how I see it. Climbing take time!

EDIT: p134 PG Climbing take a standard action each round. So you can't use Wind Catcher. Crap!

Lursi

Post by Lursi » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:13 am

So you climb up 200 feet, you fail and plunge to death although you have wind catcher ?

(Because you climbed your standard action for this round is used and you could not have used wind catcher in RAW)

As GM I would say, failing the climb test takes an entire round and your free fall starts in the next round.

Then this problem is solved.
Of all things I lost, sanity I held dearest.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:47 pm

How far do you fall in one round? And on what initiative does the falling take place? Weirdness!